You spend more than half of your waking hours working. Make these precious, fleeting moments matter by working for an organization and a cause you can believe in.
Western Growers exists for one reason only: to ensure the future viability of its members – the hard-working, salt of the earth farmers who grow the fruits, vegetables and tree nuts that feed our nation and nourish our bodies. But their way of life, their ability to pass their multi-generational farms and family legacies on to their children and grandchildren, is being jeopardized by a host of threats, many of them beyond their control. They face a growing litany of laws and regulations that make it increasingly difficult and expensive to do business.
Our members depend on us to help them remain competitive and profitable in spite of these trying circumstances, which we do by fighting – heart and soul – for them every single day. We passionately advocate for them in the halls of Congress and on the steps of the state capitol. We actively facilitate the advancement of technology designed to help them become more efficient and less dependent on diminishing resources. We diligently provide health insurance to their farm workers, as well as other insurance solutions tailored to the unique business. We do all of this, and more, from a position of leadership in the agriculture industry, which requires a team of intelligent, inquisitive and innovative individuals sold out for our common purpose.
To learn more watch our Company Video!
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This position reports directly to the Director, Organizational Development & Effectiveness and is responsible for coordinating functions and duties in support of projects and programs for the human resources department. This role will include support in various human resource functions including recruiting, training, payroll, safety, operations, and employee engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field and three (3) years’ of direct experience working in an administrative role in a highly generalized human resources department or six (6) years of direct experience as an HR Coordinator in a mid-sized company.
- Moderate knowledge of CA employment laws, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, fair hiring, and other human resource compliance issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communication with all levels within the organization.
- Strong ability to work efficiently and effectively in a multi- project, multi-demanding environment.
- Strong organizational skills; able to effectively prioritize assignments and competing deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Ability to handle sensitive situations and confidential information with discretion
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and human resources information systems (HRIS). Experience working with Paycom and Jobvite highly desirable.
- Proficient with Citrix suite of products (e.g. host set up, session creation, etc.)
- Familiar with video chat and similar technology a plus.
- Some prior experience in planning employee functions including job fairs, trainings, and various meetings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
HR Department Support
- Support recruiting efforts by assisting recruiting team by processing new hire files and other administrative recruiting work.
- Assist new hires with new hire paperwork, review I-9s, and process E-Verify within appropriate timelines.
- Enter new hire information and maintain employee data in the HR information systems.
- Schedule and support events and HR meetings including job fairs, company picnics, new hire orientations, and safety committee meetings.
- Support HR projects including annual benefits enrollment, 3A+ performance management, annual auditing, trainings, etc.
- Coordinate logistics for training events within the department.
- Support payroll processing by assisting with communication with management and employees.
- Act as the backup for the Front Desk Admin when necessary.
- Prepare employee personnel files for filming/scanning and long term storage.
- Maintain and order supplies for the department.
- Order employee anniversary gift choices and distribute them monthly.
- Complete requests for employment verification.
- Respond to internal HR related inquiries through the HR ticketing system.
- Write and send employee communications for company events, wellness challenges, and employee perks and benefits, etc.
- Processes all invoices and ensure timely and accurate payment of all department bills.
- Assist the HR Learning and Development Manager in completing training-related tracking, preparing handouts, workbooks, binders, invoices and reviewing materials.
- Provide administrative support to the SVP and the Director.
- Create ad hoc reports, manage training enrollment, and maintain distribution lists.
- In conjunction with the Operations Generalist update and maintain Halogen users lists and enrollments.
- Assist with user management for all HR systems; this includes troubleshooting for users.
- Manage the HappyFox (SERV) ticket queue.
- Assist with SharePoint Administration.
- Utilize all capabilities to satisfy one mission — to enhance the competitiveness and profitability of our members. Do everything possible to help members succeed by being curious and striving to understand what others are trying to achieve, planning and executing work in a helpful and collaborative manner, being willing to adjust efforts to ensure that work and attitude are helpful to others, being self-accountable, creating positive impact, and being diligent in delivering results.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.