Compensation and Benefits Analyst
You spend more than half of your waking hours working. Make these precious, fleeting moments matter by working for an organization and a cause you can believe in.
Western Growers exists for one reason only: to ensure the future viability of its members – the hard-working, salt of the earth farmers who grow the fruits, vegetables and tree nuts that feed our nation and nourish our bodies. But their way of life, their ability to pass their multi-generational farms and family legacies on to their children and grandchildren, is being jeopardized by a host of threats, many of them beyond their control. They face a growing litany of laws and regulations that make it increasingly difficult and expensive to do business.
Our members depend on us to help them remain competitive and profitable in spite of these trying circumstances, which we do by fighting – heart and soul – for them every single day. We passionately advocate for them in the halls of Congress and on the steps of the state capitol. We actively facilitate the advancement of technology designed to help them become more efficient and less dependent on diminishing resources. We diligently provide health insurance to their farm workers, as well as other insurance solutions tailored to the unique business. We do all of this, and more, from a position of leadership in the agriculture industry, which requires a team of intelligent, inquisitive and innovative individuals sold out for our common purpose.
Job Description Summary
In partnership with the AVP of Human Resources, this position will implement, administer, and maintain the organization’s benefits and compensation programs. This includes managing base salary and incentive plans, alternative rewards programs, internal equity, a pay for performance philosophy, job evaluations/descriptions, and salary surveys that support the company’s business and HR priorities and strategies. The incumbent is also responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures related to benefits administration. The incumbent works closely with the Payroll Specialist to ensure that benefits administration is managed correctly in the HRIS system. The Compensation & Benefits Analyst also collaborates with managers and the recruiting team to implement a centralized, harmonized, and seamless compensation structure. This position reports directly to the AVP of Human Resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Finance, Economics, Accounting, or related field and five (5) to seven (7) years Total Rewards, Compensation or HRBP experience, with at least three (3) years in Compensation Management preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Exceptional analytical skills with demonstrated experience conducting and interpreting statistical compensation analyses.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of compensation and benefit plan administration.
- High level proficiency with Excel (e. g., v-lookups, pivot tables, if/then formulas) and a proven ability to consolidate and manipulate large data sets with a commitment to accuracy.
- Strong ability to manage relationship with a third-party benefit administrator and benefits broker.
- Strong understanding of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Section 125 and cafeteria plan regulations, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and COBRA.
- Demonstrated experience with HRIS systems (e.g., Paycom) and employee data and compensation survey participation required. Experience with Payscale compensation tool a plus.
- Advanced understanding of compensation practices, trends and pay equity laws. Possess the ability to make independent decisions/recommendations based on compensation principles and philosophy.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the day-to-day compensation and benefits needs of a varied client group and a proven ability to achieve objectives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Strong written, verbal, and graphic communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate technical information to varying audiences.
- Experience interacting with Payroll as it relates to benefit administration.
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) or Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) a plus.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Function as a subject matter expert and support management regarding compensation, classification, and other ancillary pay issues.
- Interpret and apply pay policies, philosophy, state and federal law as they relate to compensation.
- Conduct review of job levels, assess and make determinations regarding requests for new job titles, and update job descriptions in conjunction with HR and management.
- Assists the recruiting team with offer recommendations for external and internal candidates.
- Ensure pay practices are compliant with all federal, state, and regulatory laws/requirements.
- Provide complex compensation consultative services to Human Resources and management.
- Design and implement pay solutions, strategies, and programs as needed.
- Manage projects and initiatives related to compensation programs.
- Conduct benchmarking and data analysis to formulate recommendations that ensure competitive, cost-effective, and legally compliant compensation programs and practices.
- Consult with HR and management to provide guidance and interpretation of compensation policies and programs and evaluate requests for changes and updates.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and introduction of best practices. Review the market and identify opportunities to maintain a competitive position.
- Conduct market and best practice research to formulate and support compensation recommendations. Participate in the development of the annual wage plan for the organization.
- Maintain and audit compensation-related information, such as job codes, salary plans, grades, etc.
- Provide compensation guidance, training, and regulatory updates to HR and Leadership. Act as a mentor and resource for HR and managers on compensation-related policies and procedures and the execution of their duties and accountabilities involving compensation.
- Ensure completion of all required salary surveys (e.g., Mercer).
- Provide support to employees regarding all Western Growers (WG) benefit offerings. Develop/update resources to enhance the employee’s understanding of the Company’s benefits package.
- Lead the coordination and facilitation of open enrollment each year in conjunction with the broker. Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations and open enrollment.
- Manage benefits administration (e.g., enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, billing, and compliance testing.)
- Work with 401(k) plan administrator on annual 401(k) census and audits.
- Manage the relationship with the Health Management vendor to ensure successful implementation of the Health Rewards and Wellness Program.
- Provide Paycom support, including but not limited to researching and resolving benefit related issues and recommending solutions or alternate methods to ensure effective benefit operations
- Manage all benefits data and file feeds. Perform audits of benefits-related data.
- Collaborate with Payroll to review, analyze, and reconcile payroll, eligibility, and census-related data.
- Conduct surveys and analysis relative to benefits cost and design.
- Responsible for the administration and compliance benefit payment collection for employees on LOA.
- Work with Legal compliance to interpret and revise plan documents, benefit summaries, and plan policies periodically.
- Manage relationships with all third-party service providers, including review and evaluation of service levels and service level agreements as well as vendor searches.
- Manage benefits systems and online enrollment system processes for all benefit plans, including designing and maintaining automated file feeds, troubleshooting errors, and problem resolution.
Department Operations Support
- Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits and compensation processes.
- Ensure compliance with applicable government reporting regulations and requirements.
- Prepare, review, and reconcile company benefit billings and submit for payment on time.
- Contribute to the weekly Fresh Thoughts newsletter.
- Utilize all capabilities to satisfy one mission — to enhance the competitiveness and profitability of our members. Do everything possible to help members succeed by being curious and striving to understand what others are trying to achieve, planning, and executing work helpfully and collaboratively. Be willing to adjust efforts to ensure that work and attitude are helpful to others, being self-accountable, creating a positive impact, and being diligent in delivering results.
- All other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform this job’s essential functions successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others. The employee frequently is required to move around the office. The employee is often required to use tools, objects, and controls. This noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.