Manager, Process & Quality Improvement
Western Growers Assurance Trust (WGAT) was founded in 1957 to provide a solution to a need in the agricultural community — a need for employer-sponsored health benefit plans not previously available from commercial health insurance carriers. WGAT is now the largest provider of health benefits for the agriculture industry. The sponsoring organization of WGAT is Western Growers Association, created in 1926 to support the business interests of employers in the agriculture industry. WGAT’s headquarters is located in Irvine, California.
WGAT’s mission is to deliver value to agriculture-based employer groups by offering robust health plans that meet the needs of a diverse workforce. By working at WGAT, you will join a dedicated team of employees who truly care about offering quality health benefits and excellent customer service to plan participants. If you want to start making a difference working in the health care industry, then apply to WGAT today!
Job Description Summary
Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President, Operations (AVP) the Manager of Process & Quality Improvement, will be responsible for planning, designing and directing performance improvement work in alignment with organizational goals. The incumbent will coordinate and develop the infrastructure and strategies to facilitate the implementation of Performance Improvement and achievement of department goals, including integration of system-wide and strategic initiatives, performance improvement strategies, projects, and activities with system and departments priorities. Activities include planning, performing, and implementing process improvement & quality initiatives that may represent one portion of a larger project, or represent a stand-alone initiative. Process management functions may include data gathering and analysis, best practice research, process mapping, developing and recommending alternatives for improvement, developing performance metrics, obtaining leadership or stakeholder approvals, implementing improvements, and monitoring post-process improvement initiative performance to update standards. They are accountable for providing business process solutions to meet internal and external customer expectations. The Manager, Process & Quality Improvement partners with management, project champions, and process owners to execute the project and deliver results. This position serves as a catalyst and mentor for motivating productivity, innovation, high employee morale and commitment to the operations department. This position will have three direct reports, two Reporting Specialist II and one Reporting Specialist I.
- BA/BS’s degree or higher in business management, quality assurance, operations management, health care management and five (5) to seven (7) years of experience of progressive growth in operations management with specific expertise in healthcare benefits/insurance preferred.
- PMP Certification Required.
- Minimum four (4) years of continuous process improvement, management consulting, integration, change management or related business experience required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing people or teams.
- Extensive knowledge of operational excellence fundamentals, process improvement methodologies and lean manufacturing concepts required.
- Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt Certification or expertise in process improvement methodologies including Kaizen, Business Process Engineering, Gap Analysis/Business Process Modeling Notation Required.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Visio, SharePoint, Project Management tools and data visualization.
- Demonstrated expertise in data analytics with the ability to take complex data sets, effectively data mine, and thorough analysis identify pertinent insights and interpretation providing actionable insights to drive quality and process improvement activities.
- Strong collaborative leadership style and ability to increase the departments’ effectiveness and performance by assigning accountabilities, planning, monitoring and appraising results.
- Requires strong analytical skills, excellent time management, multitasking and organizational skills.
- Proven business leader with track record of delivering change with high impact results.
- Quantitative focus, data driven decision making.
- Ability to think creatively and use various methods in problem solving to anticipate and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated experience in writing and revising policy and procedures as needed.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills – ability to communicate clearly and concisely to an audience that includes staff, senior management and make public presentations.
Duties And Responsibilities
Process & Quality Improvement
- Analyze existing operations, systems, processes and metrics to identify pain points and prioritize high value improvement opportunities.
- Support identification and prioritization of future operational improvement projects across Operations Department by interviewing stakeholders and process owners to define processes and helps define standards and methods.
- Create process recommendation documents, including presentations, process maps, supporting metrics, business requirements and related impact analyses for complex processes or for portions of larger or inter-related processes.
- Lead the development of recommendations by other management team and apply Lean/Six Sigma concepts and techniques to process improvement initiatives, including completing Lean/Six Sigma analyses and tasks. Shares accountability for realization of results with process owners and present recommendations to stakeholders and process owners.
- Collaborate with stakeholders from across the organization and functional teams, to help deliver improvements that balance competing priorities.
- Work across multiple concurrent operational improvement projects.
- Evaluate the quality and system efficiency of operations departments and create strategies for improvement.
- Lead improvement teams that will assist with the implementation of new recommendations.
- Coordinate with other managers to ensure improvement efforts.
- Lead, develop, and implement process changes within the operations department that help it become more aligned with strategic objectives.
- Engage leadership and stakeholders to obtain support and buy in for changes.
- Design new process plans and strategies for improvement.
- Spearhead the training and education related to any new company processes.
- Acts as a subject matter expert to other departments and assist with sharing best process improvement practices, tools and materials while participating in ongoing communication activities and capacity-building peer exchanges.
- Independently leads and manages projects that result in increased efficiency and overall enhanced operational performance. Projects will be varied in nature from core business process improvements to multi-functional programs with diverse stakeholders.
- Partner with senior leadership to manage project pipeline, helping to evaluate and prioritize potential opportunities.
- Provide project oversight: developing, managing and evolving project plans, including goals, milestones, deliverables and KPIs.
- Coordinate diverse stakeholders, partnering with brand and functional teams to coordinate and execute projects
- Track project progress against defined deliverables and measures performance against key metrics
- Own follow-up actions for unresolved questions with appropriate sense of urgency. Complete follow-up informational calls, follow ups for next steps, emails and/or case updates to customers and sales representatives (when necessary) within service level requirements.
- Coordinate the Process Improvement and Quality Meetings by serving as the administrator. Convenes regular meetings, sets agendas, develops and analyzes performance improvement data, designs and implements related processes and systems.
- Stay close to senior leadership and provide proactive updates regarding project impact.
Data Analysis & Reporting
- Perform data analysis and develop/drive and executes innovative strategies to achieve performance metrics, quality, service, and strategic goals.
- Develop, coordinate and implements sustainability progress on improvement activities in collaboration with improving performance leaders at the staff and department level.
- Track performance and quality improvement after processes have been deployed.
- Prepare and conduct reviews to create accurate performance reports.
- Monitor’s and reports progress to leadership regarding performance management, process improvements and quality.
- Maintain data on continuous performance and quality improvement basis. Regularly reports the status of performance and quality improvement efforts and impacts.
- Ensure needed data is collected on a timely basis, regular reports on progress are distributed, and makes recommendations for future improvements based on the data.
Management & Leadership
- Develop, manage goals, performance efforts and leads a team of 3A+ self-accountable professionals.
- Develop a culture of real, personal accountability by modeling the behavior that defines it.
- Train, motivate, retain, develop and lead a team of professionals to achieve target results.
- Instill a culture of safety and expectation, within your respective area/s.
- Require direct reports to hold themselves accountable to high standards of performance and personal conduct, in a clear, helpful, straightforward way.
- Conduct one-on-one conversations with every direct report, quarterly, focused on their 3A+ capabilities, impact, and effort.
- Support a robust mentorship, leadership, management, and technical training program to continually develop staff.
- Assist in creating a career development plan for all staff members within the Operations department.
- Make decisions and choices, impacting staff, by using the selection and hiring, clarifying roles and objectives, managing performance, correction & discipline and termination steps as outlined in the “Outward Mindset Skills for Leaders” guide.
- Assure that the staff sees leadership as one, unison, cohesive team, implementing the decisions made by upper management, and communicating in a positive manner with other levels of management to ensure cohesiveness.
- Utilize all capabilities to satisfy one mission — to enhance the competitiveness and profitability of our members. Do everything possible to help members succeed by being curious and striving to understand what others are trying to achieve, planning, and executing work helpfully and collaboratively. Be willing to adjust efforts to ensure that work and attitude are helpful to others, being self-accountable, creating a positive impact, and being diligent in delivering results.
- All other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others. The employee frequently is required to move around the office. The employee is often required to use tools, objects, and controls. This noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.