Ruby Engineer - Product
In the words of Inc Magazine “Web Summit is the largest technology conference in the world”. Forbes says Web Summit is “the best tech conference on the planet”, Bloomberg calls it “Davos for geeks”, Politico “the Olympics of tech”, and the Guardian “Glastonbury for geeks”.
Whatever Web Summit is it wouldn’t be possible without an incredible team of nearly 200 employees, including world class engineers, data scientists, designers, producers, marketers, salespeople and more.
We’ve disrupted an old industry by building incredible software and designing mind-blowing events. We’ve revolutionised how people come together in our world. We started with one event: Web Summit. But now we’re creating category defining events all over the world, from Asia to North America. We’re just getting started.
About the team
We’re looking for software engineers of all levels to join our growing engineering team at Web Summit. The engineering team is broken up into smaller cross-functional teams which deliver different business projects; like ad-automation, core data APIs, attendee web applications and internal optimisation tools.
At Web Summit we believe that the power of data and engineering can be applied to every facet of our events to make the attendee experience excellent, so whatever projects you work on you’ll work closely with our UX engineers, data scientists, event engineers and web developers across all our conferences: Web Summit in Lisbon, RISE in Hong Kong, MoneyConf in Dublin, and Collision in Toronto.
What you’ll achieve at Web Summit:
- You’ll join a growing team, and work in a collaborative environment on existing and new products.
- You’ll work across the stack (Rails, React, PostgreSQL, Redis, Linux) to deliver quality, maintainable code in order to power the best conferences in the world.
- You’ll collaborate and learn with other team members via mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- You’ll learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & development process.
Who you are:
- You have an analytical mind and love solving problems.
- You care deeply about engineering culture and the quality of products you and your team build.
- You have experience working in a Kanban or Scrum team driving everyone around you to perform to their utmost.
- You love the web and new technologies (AWS Lambda looks cool).
- You’re knowledgeable in a broad spectrum of products and recent developments; making smart choices about technologies to be adopted.
Skills and abilities we’re looking for:
- Computer related MSc is a plus.
- Commercial experience in Ruby or other object-orientated language.
- Solid understanding of Linux
- Experience with AWS is handy.
- Experience with Redis, Postgres or Neo4j ideal.
- Open source contributions to a project in any language (even English) is a plus.
Be healthy, curious and social:
- Stay healthy with our fully subsidised healthcare cover.
- Exercise your mind and body with our free gym membership and yoga.
- Enjoy your own private garden with an orchard, sports equipment, and vegetables right outside your office.
- Enjoy an unlimited supply of fresh fruit, beverages, and cereals.
- Master new skills from those around you, onsite talks and training initiatives.
- Become workmates, not just colleagues, with our active social calendar of company celebrations, trips abroad and sports.