Senior Engineering Manager
Sr. Engineering Manager, Order & Payment Platforms
The Order & Payment Platforms team is responsible for enabling some of the most critical processes at Wayfair. We build and operate variety of platforms that enable a range of functionality from processing and managing the lifecycle of orders and payments, to allowing sales and service teams to utilize SMS as a communication platform.
Being right at the center of daily operations between our Wayfair websites and the fulfillment channels, the team focuses on building highly performant systems, that also have high availability, high scalability, and high visibility. We use event-driven processing and distributed technologies to build our platforms and achieve our goals.
- Provide technical leadership to architect highly performant platforms, while designing for stability and resiliency.
- Focus on managing a medium-sized team, through coaching, mentorship and performance management.
- Own end-to-end feature development, and platform operations, while working with the team across all phases from design to rollout.
- Collaborate with the product team to generate ideas, develop insights, and to plan and execute the roadmap for the team.
An ideal candidate has:
- Experience building applications using event-driven architecture and RESTful services.
- Experience working with performance and scalability challenges across the stack.
- Experience improving fault tolerance of systems using stability patterns for RESTful and distributed applications
- Experience managing and building teams, while focusing on performance management, career development, project and roadmap planning, understanding business value, and bias for action.
- Good communication & collaboration skills - ability to work across teams to drive output.
- 5+ years of industry experience, and 3+ years of experience managing a small to medium sized team.
Other valuable skills (nice-to-haves):
- Familiarity with event-processing and distributed technologies like Apache Storm, RabbitMQ, Kafka, and Zookeeper.
- Experience with caching technologies like Redis and Memcache.
- Experience writing or optimizing SQL for high performance, especially with Microsoft SQL Server.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.