Head of Appliances - Category Management
Do you want to be the GM of a $1B start up? Wayfair is searching for a leader to build the Appliance business for Wayfair.com. Large Appliances is one of Wayfair’s fastest growing businesses, and a key area of focus as we continue to develop our offering as a destination for everything home.
The Large Appliances market in the U.S. is large and growing (~$40B), with very low online penetration (~5-10%). Sales today are concentrated with a few major retailers, all of whom focus primarily on the brick-and-mortar channel. There is a tremendous opportunity to disrupt the industry by dramatically improving the customer experience offered online. Wayfair is looking for a driven leader to be the Single Thread Owner (STO) of this highly visible & critical effort - worth billions of dollars at scale.
This category is different from many other categories at Wayfair – it is highly branded, very technical, and most products require some type of special handling / delivery / installation. In addition, customers expect to be able to compare different products against one another, purchase add-ons like warranties or accessories and have their old appliance(s) removed from their homes during delivery. Thus, key focus areas for growing this category include:
- Fully building out assortment by developing partnerships with suppliers and brands not yet on site
- Creating a best-in-class storefront and merchandising experience giving customers the ability to easily visualize appliances in their homes, compare models within and across brands, and understand the unique value propositions offered by each product
- Rethinking operations, partnering with teams such as Operations Product Innovation, Product Performance, and CastleGate to fully build out our installation capabilities, decrease the time it takes to deliver a product, and reduce the likelihood of an appliance arriving to the customer’s home damaged
To accomplish the above, the candidate needs to set and drive a vision, build and train an A+ team, operate analytically, have the desire to build deep institutional knowledge about the industry, work hyper-cross-functionally, and naturally operate / execute at speed. The role requires frequent dialogue with Wayfair’s CEO and c-suite team to ensure alignment is tight and priorities are agreed upon.
While you will interact with almost every function / team at Wayfair and no two days are the same, you will spend your time focused in the following areas:
- Build and develop your team: The current Appliances team is talented and ambitious, but needs a captain who will set/drive culture, attract, develop and retain talent, and ultimately develop future leaders for the broader Wayfair org
- Manage senior supplier stakeholders: The Large Appliances category is made up of very strong brands owned by a few key suppliers who each have significant market power. A critical part of the role is building long-term trusting relationships with, negotiating with, and influencing new and existing suppliers.
- Develop and execute strategic plans: Successfully growing Large Appliances will require nuanced, class-level strategies (e.g. Air Conditioner seasonal plan, laundry packages, etc.) that incorporate assortment, merchandising, logistics, promotions, pricing, service, etc.
- Influence a diverse set of stakeholders: This leader will be the STO of Large Appliances at Wayfair. Given that Wayfair is a matrixed organization with ownership divided across specialized, expert teams, executing a cohesive 360° strategic plan requires understanding, influencing, and motivating many different teams and individuals
- Assess performance and adapt strategy: It is critical to conduct regular analytical deep dives into performance to identify gaps and pivot as needed. Wayfair works fast and needs a leader who can use data to drive action and results
Due to the importance of this role, we are looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial, analytical leader who can build relationships, develop a team, set a strategic vision, and influence a wide array of internal and external stakeholders. At Wayfair, we pride ourselves on having leaders who are “manager-doers.” Our next Head of Appliances must be senior enough to be entrusted with the strategy of a future core business, while also being willing to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds when necessary.
- Develop strategic points of view, build plans, and drive profitable growth
- Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection, and pricing and make strategic changes as needed
- Advance catalogue expansion by identifying selection gaps and building direct relationships with key suppliers not yet on site
- Improve profitability through strategic supplier relationship management, ensuring we are competitive in the marketplace on pricing and economics
- Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders in teams such as Pricing, Product, Site Merchandising, Promotions, Operations, and Marketing
- Lead a team of Senior Category Managers and their reports
- Develop and mentor the future leaders of Category Management and Wayfair
- Travel roughly 10% of the time to visit supplier and attend trade shows in cities such as Las Vegas, New York, and Chicago
- MBA from top tier school
- 10 to 15 years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting or e-commerce
- Prior experience in a high performance, fast-paced industry
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership, and driving results
- Ability to develop, articulate, and execute strategy
- Passion for utilizing large data sets to drive strategic insights
- Versatile performer, capable of adapting as data-led insights evolve
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic organization
- Prior experience recruiting and building high performance teams
- Comfortable in technology-driven business environment
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.