Senior Engineering Manager
Senior Engineering ManagerWayfair is the premier destination to shop for a Zillion Things Home across 5,000 brands. Our supply chain is becoming an increasingly visible component to Wayfair’s core strategy. The Warehouse Management Systems team, which owns the software, systems, and processes running inside our fulfillment centers, is a critical piece of that strategy. We prototype, build, and scale the tools used by our warehouse operations staff to pick, pack, and ship customer orders. We pride ourselves on driving accuracy and on-time delivery as order volume increases and the distribution network evolves to serve the volume.
We build and support a variety of technologies created in-house, as well as integrations with best-in-breed vendors. Technology in our warehouses is growing by leaps and bounds with the inclusion of automation, supplier self-service, and learning from rapid experimentation. Prototyping is at the heart of our culture and generates the data used in our data-driven decisions. We welcome new ideas from a diverse set of backgrounds and encourage innovation at all levels.
The warehouse is a key driver in increasing delivery speed, driving down cost in the supply chain, and delighting our customers.
WMS started with one single warehouse serving the entire US. We now have a network of fulfillment centers, cross docks, and pool points throughout the US, UK, and EU. We are in the midst of creating new warehouse functionality while increasing availability of items that can be delivered in 2 days or less. Small, medium, and large parcel items are all included in the network and pose exciting challenges when designing the next phase of fulfillment technology. Here are some recent projects that have pushed our global fulfillment network forward in its speed and product availability.
- Automated product handling to minimize labor per order
- Predictive analytics to eliminate damaged items before they enter the supply chain
- Supplier recall capabilities to enable new product categories in the warehouse
- Order picking rules engine based on expiration date
- Small, medium, and large parcel handling in the same facility
- Customized Android devices to improve warehouse staff efficiency
- Flexible routing to enable optimal delivery speed and cost
What You'll Do?
- Manage with cross-functional scope including tech leads and managers.
- Build a strong team with a capable leadership through effective hiring, on-boarding, retention, and continuous improvement.
- Own roadmap and collaborate with stakeholders on priorities and direction of the space.
- Break down complex initiatives into concrete iterative pieces
- Seek out, define, and evolve best practices within teams’ area of focus as well as initiatives that raise the standards across the organization.
- Balance the best technical solutions with the long-term needs of the organization.
- Develop and communicate roadmaps to team and stakeholders, promoting transparency in decision-making along the way
- Drive improvements and provide visibility to progress via short feedback loops, data-driven decisions, and customer feedback
Who You Are?
- Experience managing a team of engineering managers
- Mastery leading or managing a team of software engineers and delivery of business impacting applications
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Proficient in designing systems at scale
- Proficient in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Proficient in a server side programming language (PHP preferred but not required)
- Proficient in a frontend framework (React preferred but not required)
- Proficient in writing SQL queries against a relational database
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.