Senior Software Engineer - Operations Research
The Operations Research team at Wayfair is looking for a software engineer with knowledge of Python and a solid scientific computing or mathematics background to work with us putting our models into production. This may involve working with Python web services, Spark (via PySpark), databases, caching systems, and other technologies. Your responsibilities will include automating large-scale batch processes, maintaining and improving performance of Python/Cython/C++ code, helping define best practices for maintainable code and processes, and working with other engineering teams to define APIs and integrate systems.
What you will NOT be doing is re-writing poorly implemented research code. Our team does not believe in throwing ad-hoc models “over the fence” for others to put into production and maintain. We expect the models we develop will follow good software design practices. To that end, we have an active code review process and take maintainability and quality seriously. However, we’re experts in modeling and mathematical optimization, not software engineering. That’s where you come in: we want you to use your expertise in effectively building reliable systems to expose our work for consumption by a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Architecting a system to support the optimization of delivery routes and schedules to support order-in-cart for large parcel deliveries from our Delivery Agents
- Generating replenishment proposals for hundreds of thousands of products stored in the Wayfair Stocking or Castlegate programs
- Determining the selection of warehouses that will be used to fulfill small parcel orders to drive cost reduction, maintain inventory balance across our network, and increase 1- and 2-day delivery guarantees
- Allowing interactive edits of Supplier Order Proposals and re-optimizing in real-time to respond to constraints and information not available during a batch run
- Generating optimal pick lists and routes for warehouse personnel as they fulfill orders, and optimal positioning of products within a warehouse
- Replacing commercial optimization software that no longer fits Wayfair’s needs or scale
- Strong math background / quantitative skills
- Strong back-end programming ability
- Familiarity with Python programming
- Comfort with agile software development as well as less predictable prototyping / research work
- Proven ability to communicate cross functionally
Bonus points for:
- Expertise in Python programming
- Experience with large-scale distributed, parallel computation
- Experience designing and implementing Flask web services
- Knowledge of Python optimization approaches and technology
- Familiarity with mathematical optimization techniques like linear and integer programming
- Familiarity with Statistics / Probability
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.