Machine Learning Manager, Computer Vision
Wayfair’s Data Science and Machine Learning teams build the algorithmic systems that drive our business. Specifically, the Computer Vision team aims to get the customer what they want without needing words. Take for example determining how to implement AR technology to improve the shopping experience. The projects that this team works on are driven from the ground up, so we look for entrepreneurial individuals that want to take ownership over their own agenda and thrive in a collaborative team environment. In addition, they work closely with stakeholders across the business to ensure that our data driven insights do not collect dust. With an in-house A/B testing platform and rolling code deployments, our team can quickly and clearly see the impact that its work has on the company at large.
What You'll Do
- Own the full Data Science life-cycle from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying, and measuring its overall business value
- Develop quantitative models, leveraging machine learning and advanced data analysis techniques
- Architect and build technical platforms for our algorithmic engines to run at scale
- Leverage our work in order to increase adoption across our business partners, to drive real business value
- Uncover deep insight hidden in our vast repository of raw data, and provide tactical guidance on how act on findings
- Use data to improve the decision-making of our employees, and ultimately, to enhance the experience of our customers and our suppliers
- Maintain a product vision and roadmap, keeping stakeholders and customers up to date on the top level goals, timelines, and progress
- Take operational ownership of the platform, advocating for best practices to ensure up-time reliability
- Prioritize requests and ideas for features by understanding the business value and impact, weighed against the risks and development cost
- Deeply understand the technology used in your products, the strong and weak points, and become an expert at what is available
What You'll Need
- 6+ years of experience in a quantitative or technical work environment or advanced degree (PhD) in quantitative field (e.g. mathematics, economics, computer science, engineering, physics, neuroscience, operations research etc.)
- Intuitive sense of how quantitative and technical work aligns closely with business priorities and business value
- Ability to effectively work with business leads: strong communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts and desire to influence business decisions
- High comfort level with programming (languages such as Python, R, Scala, Java, C++, C#, PHP, etc.) and GPU experience preferred
- Experience in AI, Machine Learning, NLP or Deep Learning
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment where there can be degrees of ambiguity
- Intuitive sense of how to architect high performance distributed computing systems for machine learning & tie them to business problems
- Bonus points for experience with big data, streaming technologies and / or RESTful web service development
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.