Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
The Services Pod is a new team tasked with building Wayfair's newest offering by connecting Wayfair customers with third party professionals to help them achieve their goals. Today the team is comprised of two businesses: Design Services, which connects customers with Interior Designers for online design advice, and Home Services, which connects customers with professionals through service partners to assemble and install products as well as protect them. As an engineer on the Services Pod, you’ll work closely with product managers, designers, analysts, testers, and business stakeholders to solve complex problems while charting the course for new and growing businesses within Wayfair.
How will you be challenged?
- Co-writing your team’s roadmap, in collaboration with product managers, engineers on your team, and various stakeholders.
- Contributing to conversations about shared architecture, and how we can improve it.
- Running point on large projects, and making sure the engineering voice is heard among all the teams contributing to a single project.
- Tackling the unique challenges of building a new two-sided marketplace within a fast-growing ecommerce company, while architecting and leading major initiatives.
- Challenge existing architectural standards,code quality, and advocate for improvements by setting new standards.
- Work on problems of scale – we have a global audience, thus you will help build systems that are highly performant, reliable, and fault tolerant for users across US, Canada, and Europe.
- Be a mentor for junior engineers on the team.
Some Examples of Services Projects
- Experiment with optimal ways to display services across the entire spectrum of the web and mobile experience
- Work with cutting edge tools like Room Planner and View in Room to help customers visualize products in their homes
- Help create powerful design tools that make visualizing our massive catalog of over 10 million products easy and enjoyable
What will you do?
- Learn about and balance the needs of three important parties – our customers, the professionals we connect them with, and our internal teams who ensure the process runs smoothly from end-to-end.
- Help to lead your team, including mentoring, coaching and planning sprints.
- Help chart the course for an early stage startup business within Wayfair.
- Write code that is seen by millions of customers a day.
- Be a part of the team that is leading the market in delivering the most delightful online shopping experience for home furnishings in a quickly changing landscape.
Who you are
- You care about your team. Storefront Services is a highly collaborative team, with full-stack engineers, front-end engineers, app engineers, product managers and testers built in to every team. You learn together and focus on facts and data to drive decisions.
- You care about the customer. At the end of the day, we’re creating delightful experiences for both our customers and the third party professionals and service providers we connect them with. It’s not just about executing on a project specification handed to you by a stakeholder, but about working together to figure out what exactly the customer wants, and delivering it to them.
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with at least 3 years of professional development experience, or at least 4 years of full-time software development experience.
GitHub link: https://github.com/wayfair
Related tech blog posts and articles
- Design Services has recently captured attention from leading national media including The New York Times, Fast Company, The Today Show, House Beautiful and more! For example: https://www.housebeautiful.com/room-decorating/living-family-rooms/a23362292/wayfair-design-services/
- The potential of home services as the next frontier in eCommerce: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/13/technology/amazon-google-and-more-are-drawn-to-home-services-market.html
- Client-side Performance Monitoring with InfluxDB: https://tech.wayfair.com/2018/07/client-side-performance-monitoring-with-influxdb/
- Object Detection and Visual Search Improvements: https://tech.wayfair.com/2018/05/object-detection-and-visual-search-improvements/
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.