Head of Decor - Category Management
Wayfair is searching for an innovative and entrepreneurial leader energized by the challenge of driving the strategy and execution of our Décor category; the fashion-focused, highly-fragmented, and competitive price point assortment representing over 40% of Wayfair’s SKUs on site. As a mature business, Décor requires a creative leader to test new opportunities and unlock the potential growth of the category.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. As GM of Décor, you’ll help our customer upgrade with a little more fun and personality - whether it’s through finding the right print for the living room, a small sculpture for the hallway, or a Halloween tree for the holidays. The right leader will spearhead the strategy with key cross-functional partners in pricing, merchandising and operations to ensure Wayfair is the online destination for décor with a best in class end to end experience. In addition to driving a compelling and nuanced strategy, the GM of Décor should maintain a relentless focus on the foundation. With a catalogue of millions and thousands of unique suppliers, ensuring strong selection and pricing, accurate forecasting, great merchandising and smooth logistics are key to supporting the category’s unique needs.
As the GM of Décor, you will be the key stakeholder of the P&L and should be able to define overarching goals and strategy, articulate clear performance goals, execute plans, and monitor and manage key business metrics to achieve high growth results. You will need to be a skilled negotiator and relationship builder, helping a diverse set of suppliers scale with us while improving product economics of the category. You will also lead, coach and develop a category management team in both Decorative Accent and Seasonal Décor. Successful leaders will be adept at utilizing consumer data and analytics to lead seasonal forecasting, better optimize a trend-driven category and improve the Wayfair platform to ensure the catalog is competitively priced, easy to shop and delivers quickly to the customer.
The GM of Décor should be creative and undeterred by roadblocks, able to find alternative solutions to reach performance goals. Many traditional solutions at Wayfair are not a fit for the décor category, requiring a candidate adept at securing buy-in and limited resources to test new opportunities with cross-functional partners in site merchandising, pricing, operations, engineering, promotions and marketing. All leaders at Wayfair are “managers-doers,” able to both drive the big picture and roll up ones’ sleeves when necessary.
• Develop and execute category strategy driving profitable growth
• Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders in pricing, product, site merchandising, promotions, operations, marketing, and inventory to drive category strategy
• Leverage large data sets design cutting-edge analysis to evaluate category health, build strong business proposals, prioritize workflows, and drive supplier negotiations
• Set deadlines and manage organization to long timelines, particularly on Seasonal Décor, which requires immense planning and forecasting leading up to Q4
• Execute high volume of negotiations with existing suppliers including everyday pricing, fulfillment programs, annual incentive programs, advertising programs and promotions
• Regularly report out category performance to the CEO and C-suite executives
• Conduct regular meetings and calls with suppliers to review the business and advance Wayfair business goals
• Advance catalogue expansion, including identifying selection gaps, prioritizing new line queue and building direct relationships with key suppliers to bring on board
• Develop talent for Category leadership; additionally, mentor/develop team and other staff at Wayfair
• Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection and pricing and make strategic changes and product scouting as needed
• Roughly 15% travel for meeting suppliers at trade shows in cities such as Las Vegas, Chicago, Atlanta, and High Point (North Carolina)
• 7 to 15 years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting or e-commerce
• MBA or Masters strongly preferred
• Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
• Ability to develop and articulate strategy and perform tactically
• Passion for large data sets to drive strategic insights
• Versatile performer, capable of adapting as data-led insights evolve
• Prior experience recruiting and building high performance teams
• Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic organization
• Comfortable in technology-driven business environment
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.