Real Estate Accounting Manager
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Accounting Manager (Real Estate Finance).
Are you a finance leader with a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that’s bring experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
On our Finance team, that means you will be a strong fiduciary partner and trusted advisor, and leverage technology to maximize the impact of Vulcan’s world changing initiatives. And you will be exposed to a remarkable variety of business and investment approaches.
As a member on our team you will…
- Oversee monthly, quarterly and annual accounting close processes.
- Oversee third party property and parking management firms and ensure that property-level accounting and reporting is prepared in compliance with Vulcan’s standards; ensure processes and procedures are in place to mitigate risk of material misstatement.
- Prepare quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements including balance sheets, income statements and statements of cash flow in compliance with GAAP for external reporting requirements.
- Generate, analyze, and communicate financial data that reflects actual financial performance against approved forecasts and budgets.
- Oversee annual budgeting process for operating properties.
- Participate in significant financial transactions as requested, including property acquisition, disposition and financing efforts.
- Partner with development team to transition projects from construction to operations and ensure proper capitalization practices are followed.
- Oversee annual CAM reconciliation process and review calculations as prepared by property management.
- Participate in contract and lease review process.
- Work closely with joint venture partners and calculate monthly minority interest equity share and cash contributions and/or distributions as required.
- Support ad hoc requests from key business partners including Vulcan Real Estate, Tax, Legal, Facilities, and Financial Reporting teams.
The education, experience and skills we’re looking for…
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution and six plus years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Financial statement preparation and review experience
- Strong analytical, technological, communication, managerial and organizational skills.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- MS Office (advanced knowledge of Excel and Outlook; intermediate PowerPoint and Word knowledge), Windows
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Oracle or equivalent accounting systems
- Public accounting experience.
- CPA preferred.
- Relevant work experience in the real estate industry.
- Experience working in a multiple company accounting environment.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.