Sr. QA Engineer
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Sr. QA Engineer to help drive Vulcan’s Impact Technology Group.
… a strong team player with a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that is bringing experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
Specifically, you will collaborate with our NGO and academic partners to develop and support EarthRanger used in the world of Wildlife Conservation. Working on this team, you have the opportunity to be on the ground floor in designing, building, and deploying cutting-edge products that will have a global impact. The right candidate will work closely with their development team to design and build out systems for assuring well-tested, quality products. The candidate will be confident in the use of the latest tools and best practices, and comfortable both teaching and learning from teams of extremely talented engineers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must be delivery focused, with a strong willingness to perform all tasks required to complete the job and meet deadlines.
- Architects and continually refines the strategy and approach to testing our application.
- Sets up and maintains test infrastructure for projects. These include the various pipelines to assure we are releasing the best product.
- Creates detailed, comprehensive test plans and test cases in coordination with the developers working on features.
- Writes automated tests, at least for web applications and ideally for server-side processes.
- Can easily perform manual tests to find the hard to find bugs, then documents the test plan used to detect regressions.
- Determines the right balance between automated and manual testing for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Works with the team’s developers to discuss QA strategies throughout the development processes.
- Advocates testing techniques from multiple perspectives, including unit, integration, and end-to-end testing.
- Oversee quality of product and coordinates with support to quickly address product issues.
- Work with support teams to triage and understand customer issues.
- Experience working within an Agile development environment.
- Strong technical aptitude, particularly around client-server web applications, and can converse with developers and program management at a highly technical level.
- Proven history of writing test plans for new and pre-existing products.
- Experience identifying, documenting and tracking bugs through to resolution.
- Experience implementing test infrastructure for a web app or SaaS offering.
- Have developed and implemented automation for feature testing of web. (Selenium or similar)
- Experience tracking quality assurance metrics, for instance coverage and regression rates
- Use of QA tools (Jira, TestRail, JMeter or similar)
- Bachelor's degree inengineering, computer science or a related technical discipline
- 6+ years as a quality assurance engineer
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Seattle, WA
- Travel estimated to be ≤ 20% to domestic and international locations.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.