Lead Software Engineer
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Lead Software Engineer on the Skylight Team.
Who you are
Are you a Lead Software Developer with a uniquely diverse mix of skills and passions? Do you want to take those skills and passions to the next level at an organization that’s committed to making a positive difference?
Nice to meet you, we're Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Vulcan is where you come to embrace your 'and'. That means opportunities to work across an incredibly diverse set of disciplines, projects, problems and domains. It means experiencing in just one day what many people might only experience in a lifetime.
Vulcan’s Impact Technology Group is a dynamic team responsible for the development of cutting-edge technology to further Vulcan’s philanthropic mission. This team has the opportunity to be on the ground floor in designing, building, and deploying multiple cutting-edge products that will have a global impact.
The ideal Lead Software Engineer candidate will tackle challenges with an entrepreneurial spirit and have the capacity to deliver across a broad range of domains and technologies. On the skylight team, the most critical skill is to quickly learn and adapt quickly in order to meet the challenges put in front of us. As a lead developer, you will have had a diverse set of experiences demonstrating the ability to perform full stack development across multiple domains. You are an agile enthusiast and evangelist that understand that the culture and environment we create is fundamental to creating a high performance team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Expert agile software development engineer
- Established track record of delivering complex software solutions to delight customers
- Problem-solving skills and the abilities to analyze quantitatively, scope technical requirements and effectively prioritize program deliverables
- A proven ability to work hands-on in a fast-paced changing environment requiring creativity and independent judgement
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Proven Expertise at several software development languages, preferably Python or Java.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Be disciplined with implementing unit tests, continuous integration and continuous delivery to production, source code repositories and build systems for web, web services, database, and mobile applications
- NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, Mongo and/or HBAse
- Building Data platforms with open source software such as Kafka, Hadoop, Samza and/or Storm.
- Technical innovator and thought leader, with ability to demonstrate and inspire continuous learning, experimentation, and data and metrics-driven decision making
- Ceating robust technical designs and driving implementation of these design.
- Delivering solutions on AWS, Google Cloud or Azure
- Modern deployment technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or or relevant engineering experience.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.