Scientific Programmer for Climate Modeling
Nice to meet you, we're Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
What you’ll tell your family you do:
“One of the most pressing and complex challenges currently facing mankind is climate change. I’m building vastly improved models that run on the fastest supercomputers in order to improve projections of Earth’s future climate. This will help mankind’s effective mitigation of and adaption to climate change.”
About this role:
Vulcan Inc. has launched a strategic initiative in partnership with top-notch climate research institutions to build a novel global climate model running on leadership class high-performance computing systems. As a Scientific Software Engineer of a small and agile team, you will make significant contributions to the development and optimization of the climate model code the team will be developing.
In detail you will:
- Participate in all phases of the software engineering process, including research, design, development, integration, testing and deployment.
- Work closely with the rest of the multidisciplinary software team and across disciplines.
- Implement a dynamical core of a climate model.
- Apply novel programming paradigms such as source-to-source translators and domain-specific languages tailored for weather and climate modeling.
- Define and implement a suite of regression and validation tests in a CI/CD environment.
- Use agile methods for managing the software development process.
We would love to hear from you if:
- BS or MS in Computational Science, Atmospheric Science, or related field.
- Experience in scientific software development, preferably in the context of an atmospheric model.
- Experience in development and deployment of scientific software on computing infrastructures.
- Programming experience with Python.
- Proven track record of delivering solutions for challenging problems.
- Positive attitude and the desire to grow and improve skillset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience in deploying a weather or climate model on a leadership class supercomputing facility.
- Experience in developing scalable, parallel software in Python.
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Travel estimated to be 10%.
- Anticipated term of appointment is two years.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.