Lead Museum Guide - Living Computers: Museum + Labs
The Lead Museum Guide will work alongside a team of Museum Guides to provide visitor service to all guests of Living Computers: Museum + Labs. The Lead Museum Guide will demonstrate proficient knowledge of ticketing, store merchandise, inventory, daily operations, museum policies, tours, events and scheduling. The Lead Museum Guide will perform coordination duties including training and scheduling for museum staff in cooperation with the Operations Manager. This position is the central point of contact on the weekends and is responsible to notify the Operations Manager of any issues. As such, working weekends and Holidays is part of regular work assignments. This position will lead tours across a wide variety of vintage or contemporary computers as well as the ability to handle a dynamic environment with competing priorities and the ability to perform at a high, engaging energy level.
The Lead Museum Guide will collaborate with the Operations Manager to document all work and training processes for guest experiences including museum tours, cleaning routines, guest needs assessment and evaluation, daily programs and events, including assigned special projects. This position will lead daily operations and facilitate visitors’ services during operating hours and special events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with leading tours of various sizes while working independently and in groups.
- Provide logistical support for educational events during daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
- Proactively anticipate guest needs to provide exceptional service while monitoring a dynamic museum floor with visitors of all ages.
- Actively participate in all aspects of the operation of events from setup to teardown.
- Educate museum guests on programs and events, including membership benefits and gift shop offerings.
- Work independently on team or individual projects with limited supervision and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Monitor and participate in routine cleaning and operational tasks as needed with a high level of execution and follow up on the work of others.
- Comfortable interfacing with working vintage or contemporary computers and related technology, including proper loading and shutdown procedures as well as handling guest questions with confidence.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- Provide feedback to Museum Guides in collaboration with Operations Manager to ensure quality standards.
- Provide and develop new programs that enhance the guest experience in collaboration with all museum staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Position requires a highly energetic person with a positive attitude that is driven, creative and resourceful in achieving results.
- Ability to champion new ideas that add value to museum guests and approach change with excitement and openness.
- Comfortable and confident while speaking to large groups.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently; productive under pressure.
- Able to both multi-task and handle change quickly.
- Excellent communication and collaborative interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team and liaise effectively with various external and internal audiences, including vendors, contractors, and engineers, professional peers, museum guests and employees.
- Familiarity with vintage and modern computers and technology.
- Background in retail management, hospitality, or previous museum experience.
Required computer skills
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Point of Sale Software
Associate’s degree (A.A.) from accredited institution and 4 plus years’ relevant experience, OR, equivalent years’ relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Local travel required as needed per event and engagement schedule.
- Willingness to work a flexible work schedule including days, evenings, nights and special events.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds and help setup event booths and other items.
Vulcan is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, age, gender, religion, disability, LGBTQ status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or your recruiter.