Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Corporate Counsel. Are you a legal expert with a passion to make and leave the world a better place?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to make and leave the world a better place. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
On our Legal team, that means you will be a strong fiduciary partner and trusted advisor for various client groups, with a focus on Investment Management. By drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and explaining agreements and transactions, you will help our teams make decisions and limit risk.
As a member on our team you will…
- Provide day-to-day legal advice and counsel to members of Vulcan's business teams
- Provide counsel to Vulcan’s Investment Management group on a wide variety of contractual and compliance matters
- Draft, review, and negotiate agreements for the Investment Management group including transactions for private investments such as venture capital, growth equity, and private equity; fixed income and public equities investments; mergers and acquisitions; and investment professional compensation
- Consult and advise on SEC reporting and compliance and corporate governance matters
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of other commercial contracts, including service agreements, consulting agreements, maintenance agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and general operational agreements
- Create and update contract templates
- Provide proactive and preventative legal training for Vulcan employees as needed
- Assist the Vice President & General Counsel and other members of the Legal Department, as needed, in additional legal matters
- Oversee and coordinate activities of outside counsel as needed
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders (internal and external)
- Anticipate and guard against legal risks involving the company
You will bring this experience and skillsets…
- J.D. from an accredited institution and 5 plus years’ relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Washington State Bar Association Admission in good standing required
- Experience advising corporate and investment clients on contractual and compliance matters, both domestically and internationally
- Previous large law firm and/or in-house experience
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for a variety of business transactions
- Outstanding academic credentials, research and writing skills and strong oral communication skills
- Sound judgment, problem-solving and client relations skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to a diverse workload and clientele
- Strong sense of integrity and appreciation for confidentiality issues
- Ability to collaborate and be responsive to time sensitive issues
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.