Director of Machine Learning
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Director, Machine Learning to lead and drive Vulcan’s Machine Learning Center.
… a notable leader in machine learning with a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that’s bring experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
On our Machine Learning team, we are harnessing Machine Learning safely and responsibly as a public good, to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of machine learning innovation for Ocean Health, Wildlife Conservation, Climate, and Community Development.
As a member on our team you will…
- Collaborate across Vulcan to guide the direction of machine learning working across product, project, and other technology teams
- Lead the Artificial Intelligence/Machine/Deep Learning Architecture defining innovative solutions for philanthropy and emerging technology problems, to extend the state of the art in deep learning performance and efficiency, analyze and prototype key deep learning and data analytics algorithms and applications, understand and analyze the interplay of hardware and software architectures on future algorithms and applications
- Manage and evolve a highly motivated and talented Machine Learning team driving machine learning research and development R&D, data exploration and experimentation – answering, “What’s possible? What can we do here?” through coaching, training and hiring
- Effectively drive a measurable quality goals for delivering solutions for challenging problems in a data-driven way
- Develop, support and measure employee effectiveness, skills, contributions and encourage continuous improvement
- Partner with stakeholders and clients to ensure business practices and operational support are consistent with company and organizational objectives
You will bring this experience and skillsets…
- Highly skilled, well-known in the machine learning space
- Strong decision making and proven leadership with the ability to fail fast
- Balance of autonomy with ideas and shipping product
- Strong knowledge and expertise in computer science concepts and design with the ability to code
- Highly motivated to deliver Paul Allen’s legacy through Vulcan’s Machine Learning Center
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related technical field
- Strong background in applied Machine/Deep Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Computer Vision
- Experience programming in object-oriented and scripting languages
- Experience with one or more open-source ML/DL Frameworks: e.g. Caffe, TensorFlow, etc
- Experience with large-scale systems architecture
- Experience in characterizing and modeling system-level performance, executing comparison studies, and documenting and publishing results
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or your recruiter.