Program Advancement and Development Director
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Program Advancement and Development Director on the Philanthropy team.
…..a Development Professional with expertise mobilizing co-funding philanthropic partnerships AND have a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that brings experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan!
Empowered by our late founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
About the role
The Program Advancement and Development Director will bring vision, strategic thinking and an execution focus to Vulcan’s ability to make high impact investments with other funders. This role will drive strong collaboration internally and externally to mobilize cooperative partnerships with other funders and to generate co-funding commitments for our philanthropic program and for projects under development. The Director will establish and manage philanthropic partner networks, undertake philanthropic market analyses, and develop an effective method for mobilizing commitments and resources from other funders in our focus philanthropic domains, and for priority projects. The Director will work closely with program leads and grantees/implementing partners to design and deliver on resource mobilization goals. She/he will work closely with the resource mobilization teams of our grantees/implementing partners and with institutional donors to deliver co-funding targets. Additionally, the Director will oversee events and key engagements with philanthropic foundations and institutional donors.
As a member on our team you will
- Provide leadership and guidance on philanthropic funding models and approaches; build networks and relationships with existing and potential philanthropic funding partners and with the resource mobilization teams of priority grantees and other implementing partners
- Be the philanthropic market analysis expert: Provide situational awareness, advice, and trends analysis regarding funding partnership opportunities and undertake competitive landscapes of philanthropic funding; identify key peers, monitor latest development, and share insights and key learnings
- Provide advice, recommendations, and support on resource mobilization for philanthropic projects:
- Develop and deliver a framework, criteria, and method for fast identification of potential funding partners for philanthropic projects
- Advise and support program leads on methods and best practices for engaging funding partners on support for our prospective, current and off-ramping grantee projects
- In collaboration with product managers, advise/recommend on potential philanthropic markets and sources of financing for supporting a sustainable business model for philanthropy products, if appropriate
- Oversee philanthropic co-funding events: develop and drive a standard method and project manage these events
- Drive strong departmental collaboration across Vulcan and our affiliates and partners in support of resource mobilization for philanthropic programs and products
- Be available to travel up to 15%
Skills and experience that we're excited about
- Significant track record of successful advancement/development/resource mobilization for philanthropic projects, with a particular focus on foundation/institutional donors and high net worth individuals
- Deep experience with and knowledge of the philanthropy sector, ideally with a strong track record in one or more of the conservation, climate, oceans or community development domains
- A strong understanding of the resource mobilization approaches used by non-governmental, charitable organizations as well as academic institutions, and a clear vision for how to help these partners succeed in raising funds
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with executive management and with principals and senior representatives of partner organizations
- Ability to represent an organization before many audiences and in a wide range of situations
- An ability to inspire trust; a proven ability to lead and facilitate with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated with all levels of employees across the organization and with outside entities, and an ability to move from ideas to commitment to action
- Advanced business and reporting skills with strong analytical mind and an eye for detail
- Proficient with MS Office including Sharepoint. CRM experience would be helpful
- Master's degree from accredited institution and 15+ years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Our ideal candidate will have these characteristics
- An ability to stay grounded, objective and transparent, and a willingness to give credit and recognition to others
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Quick and resourceful with unflappable pivoting abilities
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.