Director of Digital Media
Vulcan Inc. is looking for a Director of Digital Media.
Are you visionary leader with deep knowledge of the digital landscape and the desire to inspire audiences by telling impactful stories? Do you want to help build a brand that will support efforts to make and leave the world a better place?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan!
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to make and leave the world a better place. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art. You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
About this role
The Director of Digital Media will be a senior leader on Vulcan’s communications team, working closely with the Director of Internal Communications, Director of Media Relations and Director of Brand Strategy to co-develop and implement strategies that further Vulcan‘s vision for making and leaving the world a better place. A visionary with a deep knowledge of the digital landscape, this role will lead the development and implementation of an integrated digital strategy connecting communications, brand, and marketing objectives. This person has extensive experience applying data and analytics to understanding audience behavior, managing the production and delivery of relevant, interesting, and meaningful content and conversation, and can evangelize the role of digital media in modern communications strategies to executive leadership and company stakeholders.
The Director of Digital Media may come from a leadership role in news, marketing or the digital media industry and is a hybrid of an editor-in-chief, project manager, storyteller, and marketer able to visualize how digital media campaigns map back to a bigger picture in support of business goals. This role will bring to life a strategic vision for digital storytelling, working to tie together seemingly disparate topics and reach across audiences. The Director of Digital Media is responsible for leading strategy and implementation of Vulcan’s messages across all digital channels and will manage a creative team of writers, producers, and social media professionals, while also working cross-functionally with other teams to support communication objectives using digital media.
As a member on our team you will…
- Create and own a digital strategy that integrates owned media, earned media, and marketing communications flowing from various business units and functional groups and is optimized for digital distribution channels.
- Own content strategy for over websites across Vulcan’s universe.
- Foster and support data-driven approaches to digital content ideation and audience development.
- Ensure an effective feedback loop of responses and sentiment from social channels back to the internal business units and affiliates.
- Measure, analyze and report the effectiveness of social and community building with the ability to de-mystify digital media and distill complex analysis into executive-level presentation of results.
- Determine necessary resources for team and manage external vendors (photographers, media partnerships, design teams, interactive developers) as needed.
- Manage the content development and updates for Vulcan websites to represent a consistent voice, brand and linkage of interests and information.
- Oversee the crafting and development of content that captures the imagination of our stakeholders, community, and the media.
- Integrate social media and community building into broader corporate communications and public relations strategy, including crisis communications, across Vulcan and its affiliates.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to tell compelling stories that help meet the business objectives of different operating units.
- Manage and mentor a digital team.
You will bring this experience and skillsets…
- Minimum 8 to 10 years’ experience in content driven digital marketing and social media.
- A proactive problem solver with broad curiosity across a variety of topics and subjects, as well as a passion for hearing and understanding the views of others.
- Proven track record in developing strategic plans leveraging multiple communications platforms.
- Strong writing and presentation skills with a deep understanding of analytics and measurement.
- Excellent understanding of content management systems and digital measurement tools.
- An experienced motivator and leader of company culture, employees and communications teams.
- A high degree of personal initiative, as well as outstanding interpersonal, teamwork, listening, verbal, written communications and process facilitation skills are absolutes.
- Strong negotiation and strategic skills with the ability to work in an evolving environment and balance the needs of various internal and external stakeholders; a high tolerance for change and pressure; high flexibility and a steady temperament.
- Innately creative and flexible with a hands-on approach.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams across diverse platforms and portfolios.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.