Finance Projects Lead
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Finance Project Lead.
Are you a finance professional with a unique mix of skills and experience? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that’s bring experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
On our Finance team, that means you will be a strong fiduciary partner and trusted advisor, and leverage technology to maximize the impact of Vulcan’s world changing initiatives. And you will be exposed to a remarkable variety of business and investment approaches.
As a member on our team you will…
- Provide functional expertise and guidance to Finance staff for accounting systems and software applications and take a lead functional role in accounting system related projects, including learning and helping to implement and stabilize the Oracle Cloud ERP system.
- Identify opportunities for process and procedure improvements and work with management to design improved processes and procedures, then document and implement those improvements.
- Perform special projects as assigned under the direction of management.
- Use judgment and professional skills in determining appropriate procedures for preparation of accounting records, research of transactions and reporting.
- Perform accounting processes as directed by management for backfill or leave coverage support.
- Assist other Vulcan departments and affiliates with accounting needs, best practices and questions; recommend improvements as needed.
- Work both independently and in a team environment.
- Concurrently perform multiple assignments and self-manage schedule to determine workflow timing and duration.
The education, experience and skills we’re looking for…
- Bachelors degree (B.A or B.S.) in accounting from an accredited institution and five years relevant accounting and/or finance experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA, CMA or comparable equivalent preferred.
- Accounting software/systems experience.
- High degree of flexibility and customer service attitude.
- Detail oriented, organized, and analytical in approach to tasks.
- Ability to communicate with Vulcan personnel and external contacts in a professional manner with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively respond to requests or questions from managers and colleagues
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel and Outlook especially), Windows.
- A firm understanding of financial processes and internal controls.
- Experience working in a multiple company accounting environment.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Oracle, or other similar accounting systems
- Experience with enterprise wide budgeting and planning systems.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.