Senior Product Manager
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Senior Product Manager to join our team.
…..a data-driven PM strategist with experience in philanthropic initiatives AND a passion to help build products that make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that brings experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan!
Empowered by our late founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
About the role
The Vulcan Product team discovers, develops and delivers technology products that help advance Vulcan’s key philanthropic programs. At Vulcan we are committed to changing the world in meaningful and measurable ways. Our Product Managers are deep technical and business thinkers who work with subject-matter experts, customers and partners to identify new product pathways, drive experimental technology to maturity, and build impactful products and services. Product Managers should be data-driven strategists and pragmatic builders and will have a deep focus on generating meaningful impact in the respective philanthropic domains that we operate
As a member of the team here's what you'll do
In this role, Vulcan is seeking an enthusiastic Senior Product Manager who will develop impactful technology solutions and tools to address global challenges in ocean health and security including illegal fishing, marine protected area management and more. The Senior Product Manager will manage and evolve our current Skylight product and explore emerging use-cases and opportunities that leverage our unique satellite-based technology, maritime data, and machine-learning capabilities. The ideal Senior Product Manager will be technically deep, passionate about protecting important world ecosystems, fluent in systems that analyze and present data, and experienced with customer and partner interaction and development.
This role requires initiative, creativity, collaboration, technical depth, a high-tempo work style in a start-up like environment and above all, a drive to deliver and true passion for the impact we seek to make. Applicants must be articulate, clear thinkers, exceptionally data driven, and able to make and back up tough judgment calls. In addition, candidates should expect occasional domestic and international travel.
- Partner with leadership across key teams at Vulcan to develop and maintain an integrated product roadmap
- Work directly with customers and partners to define and prioritize product features for engineering teams
- Work closely with our user research team in understanding user needs and exploring new use-case opportunities and manage ideation process for new feature development
- Ability and enthusiasm to think "outside the box" and translate experience from traditional technology markets to Vulcan's unique needs
- Collaborate with our engineering, support, and analyst teams in detailing out requirements for product features
- Determine when product offerings are ready for deployment
- Support development of go-to-market strategies in partnership with internal teams
- Develop business and impact plans in collaboration with internal stakeholders and senior leadership to ensure alignment with organizational goals
- Execute on the business plan to ensure sustainable delivery and support of products and services
- Participate in business and partner development
- Conduct competitive and ecosystem landscaping to ensure product differentiation and value and complement systems currently utilized by users
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
Skills and experience that we’re excited about
- Demonstration of understanding in some of these subject matter areas: Data Science; Machine learning; Business and partner development; Maritime Security; Ocean Conservation
- A history of successfully bringing new products to market
- Excellent judgement and broad ranging business acumen
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Experience working cooperatively with engineering teams following an iterative, agile product development methodology
- Experience across a range of technology markets
- Experience managing and evaluating products for social good (e.g. connecting traditional products to corporate social responsibility goals; managing a product at a social enterprise, B-corp or nonprofit)
- Experience developing networks of industry relationships
- Demonstrated ability to work with customers, vendors and partners at all levels
- The ability to take on extensive responsibility and excel in a small team environment
Our ideal candidate will have these characteristics
- Enthusiasm for engaging executives at multiple levels, from high-level strategy to tactical execution
- Tolerance for risk and a flexible and adaptable attitude toward responding to change
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- A strong work ethic - self starter
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.