Prepress & Production Specialist
As a member of the Publishing Production team, the Prepress & Production Specialist is responsible for VIZ Media’s internal prepress process for graphic novels and trade books, in both print and digital editions.
- Performs prepress duties for a variety of publishing products such as graphic novels, trade books and promotional materials, in both print and digital editions, collaborating with in-house Editorial and Creative teams
- Ensures that mechanicals adhere to printer specifications prior to packaging and releasing final files
- Acts as a technical liaison with external prepress houses and printers in order to maintain high-quality print standards
- Responsible for the delivery of final files/PDFs to printers and to VIZ’s internal digital publishing distribution system
- Responsible for maintaining product archive system on internal servers
- Works closely with fellow members of the Publishing Production team to identify problems and create solutions for flawed assets
- Provides assistance for digital publishing production, including converting InDesign files to Mobi and ePub formats
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL, AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Full proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop) and Mac operating system a MUST
- Professional experience with prepress production for offset printing a MUST
- Knowledge of digital publishing production a PLUS
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with various groups as well as work independently
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with multiple variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to take direction and follow existing procedures and processes
- Ability to troubleshoot workflow in order to streamline or improve upon them further
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Able to work legally in the United States
- Able to work onsite in our office in San Francisco
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- 2-3 years of professional experience in prepress a MUST
- Experience in the printing or publishing industry a MUST
- Equivalent of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
This position does not supervise others, but may give guidance to the work of interns and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 15 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.