Designer, Trade Books
VIZ Media is seeking a Designer, Trade Publication who will be responsible for the cover and interior design for a diverse list of trade books including art books, novels, and graphic novels. The ideal candidate will have a passion for great design, a commercial sensibility, and a strong interest in entertainment and pop culture.
- Executes design and overall visual development of VIZ trade books—from initial concept through print production—on 5–8 titles per season (15–25 per year) in a variety of formats, including illustrated books, art books, novels, and graphic novels
- Collaborates closely with the Editorial Director, Executive Editor, and Creative Director on concept development and execution
- Works with stakeholders (editors, authors, and licensing partners) to address feedback and revise layout and designs if necessary
- Hires and manages freelance designers, artists, illustrators, and photographers
- Designs and prepares select promotional and advertising materials for licensing, sales and marketing initiatives
- Interacts extensively with colleagues in other departments (Marketing, Sales, PR, etc.) to facilitate unified approaches to brand identity and product presentation
- Under guidance of Creative Director, collaborates with other designers on large-scale illustrated publishing projects
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) a MUST
- Strong creative aesthetic and a demonstrated interest in book design a MUST
- Experience and knowledge of page layout and typography fundamentals a MUST
- Experience and knowledge of print treatments and file preparation PREFERRED
- Knowledge of effective design strategies, particularly as applied to the publishing and entertainment industries
- Experience with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, HTML and other digital publishing tools
- Ability to successfully interact with prepress operators (both external and internal) to provide guidance and maintain the quality of product
- Proficiency with Mac operating systems and standard productivity software, including Microsoft Office suite and email clients
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers,
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- Minimum of 3–5 years of design experience in a print publishing environment (books, magazines, layout, etc.) a MUST
- Experience with packaging and/or logo design a PLUS
- Design experience with digital publishing a PLUS
- Equivalent of Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, Art, or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
This position does not supervise the work of others, but may give guidance to the work of interns and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves the use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 15 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis are required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.
A cover letter, resume, and a link to your online portfolio are required when applying for this position.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we DO NOT accept phone calls for open positions.