The Editor’s primary responsibilities are executing print and digital graphic novel publication production, proposing property acquisitions, and carrying out business strategies. This position requires strong attention to detail and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced production environment.
- Responsible for the timely execution of all editorial duties involved in the graphic novel, trade book, and Weekly Shonen Jump magazine production process for both print and digital formats, including, but not limited to: editing manuscripts, proofreading page and cover proofs, checking bluelines, and reviewing digital editions to ensure quality and consistency
- Finds, assigns, negotiates with, and schedules freelance translators, editors, rewriters, and letterers
- Works with the Publishing Licensing department to address licensor requirements and concerns, and to secure approval for publication projects
- Works with the in-house Designers and freelance designers on the timely and high-quality creation of cover and miscellaneous text layouts for graphic novels and tradebooks
- Writes cover text, catalog copy, and other related marketing and sales materials
- Checks promotional copy in items such as sell sheets, samplers, and other marketing materials to make sure they are consistent with the facts and spirit of the title
- Works with designated Production staff to determine production specifications as needed, and with senior Publishing staff to conduct cost analysis and stay within the title budget
- Researches and proposes potential publishing acquisitions
- Provides supporting editorial and informational services for other departments, including, but not limited to Marketing, Sales, and Animation on an as-needed/assigned basis.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the Shonen Jump brand; acts as a direct interface for fans via social media and at live events.
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL, AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under multiple deadlines in a highly organized and professional fashion a MUST
- Proficiency with Mac operating systems and standard productivity software a MUST
- Knowledge of graphic design programs, specifically Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) a PLUS
- Strong knowledge of book publishing, comics, manga, or anime a PLUS
- Working knowledge of the Japanese language a PLUS
- Ability to successfully write and edit high-quality copy and maintain continuity in assigned projects
- Ability to make both business-oriented and creative judgments
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- Equivalent of 2-4 years of experience in delivering high quality editorial services related to book, magazine, or graphic novel publication or other localization fields.
- Successful performance in the publishing industry PREFERRED
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university (English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related degree) or equivalent with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
This position does not supervise others, but may give guidance to the work of interns and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 15 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.