Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Copy Editor is responsible for copyediting and proofreading VIZ Media graphic novels, prose novels, trade books, online serializations and promotional materials for accuracy and clarity. The Copy Editor implements guidelines for the overall quality and style standards of all VIZ publishing products.
- Copyedits manuscripts, lettered pages, and page proofs of graphic novels, prose novels, and trade books for grammar, spelling, punctuation, accuracy, and clarity
- Checks page imposition, art placement, and art retouch in visual works such as graphic novels and art books
- Proofreads layouts of covers and miscellaneous text, checking for completeness and consistency in placement of design elements including folios, logos, bar codes, and prices
- Proofreads bluelines, printer proofs, and folded-and-gathered pages, controlling against production errors
- Implements house style, adhering to Chicago Manual of Style guidelines (and APS where applicable)
- Works closely with other Copy Editors and the Managing Editor to identify problems and solutions
- Logs corrections for reprint and processes volumes for reprinting
- Maintains Copy Desk library
- May assist Marketing, Sales, and Home Video teams by proofreading promotional and sales materials
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL, AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Keen proofreading eye and strong attention to detail a MUST
- Excellent English language skills and deep knowledge of grammar and style rules a MUST
- Professional experience with standard style guides, such as Chicago Manual of Style or The Associated Press Stylebook a MUST
- Professional experience in book publishing, comics, manga, or anime a PLUS
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and other standard software
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- 3+ years of copy editing experience, preferably in a book publishing environment
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position.
This position does not supervise others, but may give guidance to the work of interns and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 15 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.