Senior Localization Production Manager
Sr. Localization Production Manager
VIZ Media, the world leader in English-language versions of manga and anime (Japanese comics and animation), is looking for a Senior Localization Production Manager.
You will oversee the localization production and team. This position will focus on driving efficient scalable time-to-market production while ensuring quality standards, continuous workflow optimization with developed SOPs, tracking and updating the localization production schedule, and localization studio/vendor relations and management.
The manager will mentor and support the team to meet objectives with an emphasis on timeline-driven project management execution. Other responsibilities are collaborating, supporting, and aligning with management and cross-functional teams. With VIZ Media, you’ll be actively leading an industry-experienced and high-caliber skilled production team.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee and manage all aspects of localization production that generates localized assets for home video (DVD, Blu-ray), simulcast (“day-and-date” release), and digital (TVOD, AVOD, SVOD) distribution
- Manage, support, coach, and mentor the Localization team with project management development, issues, priorities, approvals, and assets
- Drive and maintain the execution of efficient and effective scalable time-to-market localization infrastructure that ensures quality standards
- Contribute and define localization scope of work with stakeholders for vendor quotes/bids and deliverables that adhere to timelines, technical formats, and production specifications
- Own, develop, track, and update localization production reports, schedules, and capacity to provide localization production status to collaborators and to allocate project assignments across the team, localization studios, and vendors
- Manage, negotiate, and evaluate localization studios/vendors while monitoring performance
- Sync regularly with business and production teams to prepare, strategize, recommend tools/resources, and execute for the evolving demands and challenges
- Collaborate, align, and contribute with Licensing, Sales, Legal, Finance, Marketing, and Animation Production regarding company objectives, licensing negotiations, vendor/production contracts, promotional materials, etc.
- Work with Licensors and partners for schedules, source master assets, metadata, and approvals
- Contribute, develop, optimize, and document Localization and Animation Production best practices, efficient workflows, and SOPs
- Develop budgets, manages vendor costs, and process invoices
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- 7 years of global localization experience in the Media & Entertainment industry
- 5 years of large-scale, multi-language project management experience in Media & Entertainment, directly at localization/dubbing studios, or post-production facilities
- 3 years of supervisory experience in a production/operations environment
- Expert knowledge and understanding of dubbing and subtitling processes, production workflows, and digital assets (video, audio, timed-text formats, metadata, etc.)
- Strong localization foundation and experience with the ability to evaluate, adapt, implement, and execute best practices
- Comprehensive experience working with or at localization studios and/or post-production facilities
- Highly detailed oriented with excellent project management and organization skills
- Excellent leadership and mentorship mindset
- Proficient with productivity and collaboration tools (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Slack, Wrike, Asana, or similar)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
Additional Preferred Experience/Education:
- Proficient with various delivery methods, software, and technology (Aspera, AWS, Adobe Premiere/edit tools, subtitling/caption & QC software, or similar tools)
- Fluency in Japanese
- Understanding of asset management, quality control, content acquisitions, licensing contracts, and rights management
- Familiarity with animation and anime titles
Work Environment & Schedule
The Senior Localization Production Manager position is open to candidates local to the San Francisco Bay Area or remote candidates within California.
If remote, the Senior Localization Production Manager should expect to travel a few times a year to VIZ Media headquarters in San Francisco.
Almost 100% of the time spent on this job involves the use of a computer. You’ll primarily work in an office environment and must be able to use standard office software, equipment, and communication tools. This is a Regular Full-Time position with flexibility in working hours outside of our core hours of 10:00 am-4:00 pm. The Senior Localization Production Manager may need to work late or on weekends or be on call for occasional urgent issues.
Who We Are:
VIZ Media has been bringing the finest in manga, anime, and global entertainment to English-speaking fans across the world for 35 years. From classic series like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and Naruto to current hits like Demon Slayer, One-Punch Man, and My Hero Academia, we continue to offer the best in action, romance, fantasy, and adventure stories for fans of all ages.
We offer our employees a variety of benefits and perks including:
- Hybrid Work Model - you’ll work some days in the office and some remotely with a stipend to help cover your commuting costs
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Disability and Life Insurance, and FSA Plans
- 8 Weeks of Parental Leave
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous time off policies including volunteer days and birthday holidays
- Free gym membership + wellness stipend
- Work from Home stipend