Director of Engineering
As the Director of Engineering, Marketplace Services, you will oversee the engineering talent and technical strategy for multiple domains and technical areas focused on our business services and APIs. This role will be directly responsible for all backend systems including supporting order management, shopping, customer support, fulfillment, and marketing. There are currently four development teams under this role with plans to add a fifth as we continue to scale. We are looking for a leader who is passionate about people and technology and who has a proven record of scaling engineering teams and systems.
The marketplace services domain is the lifeblood of what enables Vivid Seats to be the best marketplace to buy and sell event tickets. This is a new role for Vivid Seats as we continue to expand as a business and grow our engineering teams. This role will report directly to the VP of Engineering and have a direct impact on our business performance and the continued growth of our engineering teams and technologies. The Director of Engineering will partner with Product Directors, functional business leaders, the VP of Engineering and the CTO to accomplish large business and technology objectives.
- Coach and develop individual contributors and managers
- Foster a high performing engineering culture which attracts a diverse spectrum of top engineering talent
- Own the quality, scalability, security, and performance of applications, systems, and integrations under the marketplace services domain
- Measure and improve team engagement and productivity
- Set the technical strategy and execution plan for the marketplace services domain
- Represent Vivid Seats as a brand ambassador to the local technology community
- Partner with the Director of Product to enable business value creation, as well as the stability and scalability of our solutions.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A proven career leading multiple high-performing engineering teams, preferably in the ecommerce industry
- Experience developing and getting stakeholder and engineer buy-in to execute a long-term technical strategy
- Expertise establishing and managing both onshore and offshore teams
- Several years’ experience building backend API centric software solutions
- Experience with enterprise asynchronous system architecture and scaling
- Strong expertise with Object Oriented back end languages/ technologies such as Java, Groovy, .NET, Scala, Python, etc.
- A strong understanding of database technologies
- A proven ability to develop engineering managers and to build and retain diverse engineering teams
- Customer facing or consulting experience with the ability to promote and secure platform adoption
- Experience in a fast paced, Agile, continuous integration environment
- Creativity, fearlessness and an unwavering commitment to putting the customer first
What We Offer:
Our benefits package was crafted with our passion for live events and includes $100 worth of credits each month to spend on Vivid Seats tickets along with promotional discounts. At the heart of it, we are all fans of great live events. We want to help you get there more often.
Additional benefits include affordable medical/dental/vision/life insurance, a generous 401(k) plan with employer match, transit and parking discounts, a flexible PTO policy, kitchen stocked with healthy snacks, pet insurance, and frequent company lunches catered by Chicago’s best restaurants!
Vivid Seats is the largest independent online ticket marketplace, sending tens of millions of fans to live events each year. Being a part of our team means having the opportunity to work for one of Chicago’s most innovative tech companies, being named one of Chicago Inno’s 2019 50 on Fire. Our team demonstrates a fierce dedication to providing amazing experiences for our buyers and sellers that only live events can create.
111 N Canal Suite #800
Chicago, IL 60606