Head Middle School Boys Basketball Coach (2020-2021)
Valor Collegiate Academies is seeking an experienced and passionate Middle School Head Basketball Coach who is excited to share our mission of academic excellence and empowering scholars to live inspired and purposeful lives.
The Valor coaches serve as a “Transformational coach” to approximately 15-24 student-athletes, leading their development in a positive and competitive environment. Transformational Coaches are able to put a priority on winning, but an even higher priority on teaching life lessons through sports. You will play an integral role in the growth of our athletic program. Daily work with scholar-athletes is combined with responsibilities to develop scholar-athletes towards their noble purpose and to play an active role in running the athletic program.
- Follow and enforce Valor’s athletic policies and regulations outlined in the Athletic Handbook.
- Plan, organize, advertise, and conduct tryouts for the program.
- Create a safe environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Work directly with Athletic Director to ensure the success and safety of the program
- Communicate and work directly with the Athletic Trainer on injuries and rehabilitation.
- Ability to model, live, and reinforce the school’s core values and mission on and off the field of play with colleagues, scholar-athletes, parents and the larger community.
- Attend coaches professional development and meetings scheduled by the athletic department.
- Evaluate athlete’s skill, to develop and facilitate effective practices and game strategies.
- Timely and effectively communicate with the athletic director, parents, and players via Bloomz and email.
- Supervise practice and competition as scheduled.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of school equipment.
- Other duties, as assigned by the Director of Athletics
- A Bachelor’s preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the rules and fundamentals of the sport.
- Previous experience with a TSSAA or state athletic sanctioned school is preferred.
- Flexibility with personal schedule to accommodate the needs of the athletic program.
- A proven track-record of high achievement in your sport.
- Grit and perseverance to work within a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Commitment to use data and technology to personalize development for both adults and scholar-athletes
- Commitment and enthusiasm for working with an ethnically and economically diverse student body
- Optimism, resilience, curiosity, a sense of humor, and a burning passion for personal growth and student success.
HOURS & REPORTING
- This is a seasonal and stipend position with practices typically Monday-Friday after school 4pm-6pm, with weekend practices as needed. Games are typically during the week with possible weekend tournaments.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics.
WHO WE ARE
Valor Collegiate Academies is a high-performing charter school network with a mission to empower our diverse community to live inspired and purposeful lives. Our scholars will graduate with academic skills, social-emotional skills, and positive character strengths that rival the outcomes of the best schools in the world.
At Valor, we believe that we can have the greatest impact on our community by committing to 4 key organizational anchors:
- Top 1% Academics: We are passionate about meeting every scholar where they are – whether that is behind or above grade level – and supporting them to grow and excel. We define Top 1% Academics to mean that we are in the Top 5% in the State of TN for both Achievement and Growth. In 2017-2018, our middle schools scored 5/5 on TVAAS growth data in all grade levels and content areas, with our growth performance placing Valor in the top 1% of all Tennessee middle schools.
- Powered by Compass: We believe that in order to live inspired and purposeful lives we must focus on comprehensive human development. The Valor Compass, our nationally recognized comprehensive human development program, is designed to help scholars develop their Sharp Minds as they strengthen their Big Hearts.
- Thrive in a Diverse World: Valor was founded upon the belief that having a truly diverse community of families and learners in a thoughtfully designed model allows for everyone to have a higher quality and more meaningful experience. Our scholars and staff members come from various walks of life, racial and ethnic backgrounds, and home lives from within Davidson County.
- Built to Last: We believe that being built-to-last means to have strong, long-term operational infrastructure. This is largely driven in part by having talented people, and keeping that talent at Valor. We believe in making the work we do sustainable, by providing our faculty high quality coaching, development, and support.
- We offer a competitive stipend that is determined based on prior professional experience.