High School Special Education Paraprofessional (2019-2020)
Valor Collegiate Academies is seeking an exceptional High School Special Education Paraprofessional who is excited to share our mission of academic excellence and empowering scholars to live inspired and purposeful lives.
The Special Education Paraprofessional will work individually with small group of scholars to provide the following support:
- Assist scholars in meeting their daily personal and academic goals.
- Work closely with the special education team and academic lead teachers to ensure the scholars are fully academically supported.
- Assist and guide scholars during class transitions and help them stay organized and on task in their learning spaces.
- Support scholars with alternative academic tasks in an inclusive classroom environment.
- Make and support scholars in developing coping strategies.
- When needed, pull out and work one-on-one with scholars to help them “reset” and prepare for the inclusive classroom environment.
- Assist scholars with personal daily living skills such as toileting, feeding, and general hygiene skills as needed.
- Assist lead teacher with developing and creating materials for lessons.
- Assist lead teacher collect data on scholars individual academic goals.
CRITICAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- You have either (1) completed two years of study at an institution of higher education, or (2) obtained an associate’s or higher degree, or (3) passed a test that demonstrates knowledge of and the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing, and mathematics, or (4) completed an assessment of content competence developed by the Local Education Agency and approved by the Tennessee Department of Education.
- You have experience working with children with disabilities.
- You have the passion and commitment to serve an ethnically & economically diverse student body.
- You value modeling, living, and reinforcing the school’s core values and policies in and out of the classroom with colleagues, scholars, parents, and the larger community.
- You enjoy cultivating deep relationships with students, families, and staff to create a positive school environment.
WHO WE ARE
Valor Collegiate Academies is a high-performing charter school network with a mission to empower our diverse community to live inspired and purposeful lives. Our scholars will graduate with academic skills, social-emotional skills, and positive character strengths that rival the outcomes of the best schools in the world.
At Valor, we believe that we can have the greatest impact on our community by committing to 4 key organizational anchors:
- Top 1% Academics: We are passionate about meeting every scholar where they are – whether that is behind or above grade level – and supporting them to grow and excel. We define Top 1% Academics to mean that we are in the Top 5% in the State of TN for both Achievement and Growth.
- Powered by Compass: We believe that in order to live inspired and purposeful lives we must focus on comprehensive human development. The Valor Compass, our nationally recognized comprehensive human development program, is designed to help scholars develop their Sharp Minds as they strengthen their Big Hearts.
- Thrive in a Diverse World: Valor was founded upon the belief that having a truly diverse community of families and learners in a thoughtfully designed model allows for everyone to have a higher quality and more meaningful experience. Our scholars and staff members come from various walks of life, racial and ethnic backgrounds, and home lives from within Davidson County.
- Built to Last: We believe that being built-to-last means to have strong, long-term operational infrastructure. This is largely driven in part by having talented people, and keeping that talent at Valor. We believe in making the work we do sustainable, by providing our faculty high quality coaching, development, and support.
We offer a competitive salary that is determined based on prior experience and education level. We participate in Metro Nashville Public Schools’ retirement and benefits plan.