Job title: Content Commissioner
Responsible to: Managing Director, Island Records
Department: Island Records
Location of work: Kensington High Street
Island Records was founded by Chris Blackwell in Jamaica in 1959. In the early days, the label was built upon pressing and importing the best Ska records to the UK with Chris personally delivering sounds in his blue and white Mini Cooper. Over time, we have nurtured and represented some of the world’s most respected and best loved artists including: Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse, U2, PJ Harvey, Mumford & Sons, Disclosure, Sigrid, Drake and Giggs. We have always been the curators of authenticity, providing music and in the process defining culture.
The Content Commissioner is a vital member of the label team responsible for working with Island’s creative division ‘Studio Island’ to implement a content strategy that ensures Island Records delivers forward-thinking, culturally relevant content for their diverse roster of artists and commercially focused channels. In an era of content overload, it is more important than ever that the content generated to represent artists' music, stands out and prompts a reaction, whether via a full length promo video or shorter form social media content. You’ll be responsible for commissioning short and long-form content, including music videos for a variety of artists and ensure content is delivered on-time and within budget. You will work closely with artists and managers to align creative talent and drive collaborations with our internal brand agency, Globe.
- You are passionate about telling stories through visual content
- You have proven experience devising and implementing content strategies within the creative / media / brand or like-minded industries
- You are a connector and a team player – your network is diverse and filled with creative talent across production houses, social channels, agencies and brands
- You have demonstrated the ability to attract, retain, and grow an audience through compelling content
- You have hands-on experience with: diverse content creation, content calendars, content inventories and audits and content mapping.
- Previous commissioner experience is important, music specific experience is advantageous, but not essential
- You are good at multi-tasking, juggling competing priorities, and organising yourself to ensure you deliver on your commitments
- You work closely with marketing, social and digital teams to ensure content is faithful to the artist or project vision
Diversity and Inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.