Digital Marketing Director
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Republic Records is looking for a Digital Marketing Manager to oversee the day-to-day online activities for its urban projects. This position is responsible for planning and executing marketing promotions across all areas of the digital landscape. They will be focused on content creation & development, social media storytelling, partnerships with major social (Instagram, Twitter, Shazam, Snapchat, Facebook) & music (Spotify, Apple, YouTube) partners, fan acquisition & CRM best practices, new technology opportunities, influencer marketing, artist website development, event marketing & social media planning, paid media strategy, Google Analytics and social data measurement, and more. The right candidate will have connections within the urban music scene and will have excellent interpersonal skills for nurturing and leveraging relationships with the artists and their management teams. They are required to set goals, define strategy, execute accordingly, and be held accountable for all campaign efforts. And they will work seamlessly across all label departments when needed (Branding, Publicity, A&R, International, etc.).
- Develop digital marketing timelines & campaign strategies to successfully grow music streams, downloads, video views, social media engagement, and an overall digital creative vision for superstar, established and emerging artists on Republic and its associated labels
- Construct & maintain engaged fan communities and build email marketing lists, while measuring results effectively & identifying points that need improvement or adjustment
- Provide ideas & strategy for online contesting & sweepstakes, partnerships with social media organizations, and new online content that is optimized for all distribution networks & delivers on identified goals
- Assist with the creation, build, and editing of online properties where applicable (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr, official website and other sites appropriate to artists and label)
- Work with in-house & third-party content creators to conceptualize & complete lyric videos, portraits & live photos, 3D animations, snackable content for social media, etc. (while identifying new creators on an on-going basis)
- Manage larger initiatives coming out of key marketing and distribution partners, and work with Commerce team to ensure execution
- Conceive, budget, and effectively execute digital paid media campaigns with Project Manager and Media Planners/Buyers
- Prepare & analyze marketing summaries across all online properties, to Project Manager and others as needed; ensure audience development and growth with measurable positive online engagement
- Direct and manage relations with independent marketing companies, where applicable
- Compile editorial calendars for content management purposes across online properties
- Passionate, kind, and extremely creative. You are an organized critical thinker who works well under pressure, on short deadlines, and across multiple active artist campaigns.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Full understanding of urban music landscape, with connections and proven track record for working with artists in all stages of their career.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, photo editing, basic HTML, and CRM tactics a plus. Desire to learn and always grow is an even greater plus.
- Existing relationships with labels and/or brands and existing contacts at digital platforms
- Advanced level of artist relations and/or third-party distribution experience in a consumer-focused environment
- 5+years’ experience in digital marketing
- Experience strategizing and executing digital marketing campaigns, as well as pitching proposals for prospective clients (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you've worked on).
- Strong existing relationships with online partners, especially partners such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Giphy, Tenor, Shazam, Musical.ly, Tumblr, etc.
- Strong experience and knowledge in digital paid media strategy, planning, execution and analysis.
- Experience in creating engaging and impactful visual content across multiple formats and distribution channels.
- Experience securing online coverage and features with key platforms.
- Knowledge of social media best practices and how to put together a social media plan, build a fan base, etc.
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies
- Experience with cross-promotional marketing and branding
- Experience with influencer marketing strategy
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, organized, detail-oriented and resourceful. Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
- Build and manage artist budgets to support online marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree and or equivalent experience.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.