Manager, Audio Licensing
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog entity for the Universal Music Group. Working closely in concert with all of the company’s record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives and opportunities in new and emerging technologies. We manage a diverse and expansive catalog spanning the entire history of recorded music and nearly every genre of music from such renowned record labels as Capitol, Interscope, Def Jam, Geffen, A&M, Motown, Island, and Virgin. The UMe catalog roster includes many of the most iconic and legendary artists of all time, including: The Beatles, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, and Kanye West.
Universal Music Enterprises is seeking a Manager of Audio Licensing who is responsible for the clearance of the Universal Music catalog to 3rd parties. He/she will manage the full process of licensing from researching the rights to the recordings to obtaining all of the necessary approvals to negotiating the terms of the license. Discretion, confidentiality and good judgment are essential for this role. The candidate must be efficient and time-sensitive, and will need to perform always with painstaking attention to detail. Multi-tasking and meeting tight deadlines is necessary.
- Manage the clearance process of recordings and other Universal Music owned assets to 3rd parties
- Research agreements and assess Universal Music’s rights
- Maintain and organize files and all relevant correspondence
- Assist in department and company projects as needed
- Demonstrate high level of understanding of the 3rd party licensing process and contract analysis
- Ability to influence and negotiate
- Must possess good analytical skills and understand numerical data
- Ability to interact comfortably and effectively with UMG internal & external business partners, including Senior Management
- Self-motivated, pro-active and resourceful
- Excellent follow-through and close attention to detail
- Flexible – able to adjust to changing priorities and able to multi-task
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Strong proficiency and working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to stay on top of multiple initiatives at one time
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- 5+ years working in Licensing or a similar role; legal-related experience preferred
- Music Industry experience a plus,
- A background in project management
- Experience working with artist agreements, a plus
- Familiarity with business process workflows
- Bachelor’s degree required
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.