Interscope Geffen A&M Records is currently seeking an Attorney to join our Business & Legal Affairs team. This position is responsible for a heavy transaction flow in connection with the negotiating and drafting of various entertainment-related agreements with third parties, rights clearances and rendering legal advice with respect to the acquisition of rights and the marketing and exploitation of recorded music and visual content.
Initiate, structure, negotiate and draft agreements for all facets of the label’s operations including artist recording agreements, joint ventures, license agreements, strategic marketing and direct-to-consumer arrangements, agreements for contests and sweepstakes, producer agreements, endorsement and sponsorship agreements, motion picture and television soundtracks, video production agreements, and many other entertainment-related agreements. This position will advise members of senior management with respect to various business and legal matters including copyright and trademark laws, contractual rights and obligations, legal claims and clearances, dispute resolution, corporate compliance matters, and recording budget administration. This position will also manage critical external relationships with key representatives of a recording artist’s team.
- Skills and Requirements:
- Proven, in-depth knowledge of agreements relating to the creation, distribution, sale, marketing and financing of recorded music and video product is a requirement.
- Must be adept at drafting and negotiating exclusive recording agreements, marketing and exploitation agreements.
- Knowledge of record label issues.
- Strong customer/client service skills a must.
- Superior analytical and writing skills and ability, together with strong business and financial acumen.
- Must be able to work under time constraints.
- Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities.
- Must have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly motivated and with a desire to work in a team environment.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Must be willing to work extended hours.
- Must be self-directed and well organized.
- 7-10 years experience practicing music law preferred. Strong law firm or in-house experience/training required.
- BA/BS degree, JD, and member in good standing of the California state bar or California registered in-house counsel.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.