Project Manager, Senior
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
UMG is seeking a bright, motivated, and energetic Senior Project Manager who will be responsible for effectively managing projects from initiation through implementation while leveraging best-in-class project management methodologies and tools. He/she must have experience managing decentralized teams in both waterfall and agile environments using project management tools such as JIRA and Daptiv PPM.
The Senior Project Manager must be an experienced leader and an exceptional team player and act as Scrum Master and coach to ensure team(s) work effectively to achieve project goals. He/she may be required to support the Product Owner to help groom and manage the product backlog. The successful candidate must be passionate about problem solving, obsesses over data, and has a track record of using data to influence successful business decisions. He/she must be able to work at Santa Monica and Woodland Hills offices.
The job functions listed are a sampling of the responsibilities that may be performed. Omission of specific functions does not exclude them from the job if the work is similar or a logical assignment for this role.
- Develop comprehensive plans to achieve project goals on time and budget.
- Proactively engage in and drive project activities using proven Agile methodologies.
- Perform Agile ceremonies (sprint planning, backlog grooming, stand-ups, and retrospectives).
- Work closely with and motivate development teams to meet project deliverables.
- Facilitate scrum calls and regular status meetings with project stakeholders.
- Prepare Feature/Release documentation.
- Ensure effective project upkeep and change management throughout the project lifecycle.
- Ensure scope, schedule, resource, and budget risks are recognized and tracked to completion.
- Regularly monitor project performance and communicate impediments affecting project health.
- Follow the standardized PMO methodologies, cadence, policies and procedures.
- Manage a project team of 5 or more resources and 3-5 projects concurrently.
- Regularly communicate project status to stakeholders; including new deliverables.
- Ensure proper cross-functional coordination and prioritization of tasks/actions.
- Perform project retrospectives to capture lessons learned for project/process maturation.
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies and best practices.
- Strong leadership, team building, communication, collaboration and conflict management.
- Knowledge of Cloud, DevOps, and Security is required.
- Self-driven with strong knowledge of the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Strong negotiation, decision-making, analysis and problem-solving skills.
- A thorough understanding of Agile methodologies and processes (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and can perform effectively as member of a team or independently.
- Excellent organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking in the PPM tools.
- Promptly reprioritizes and adjusts delivery dates/priorities to meet changing business needs.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of management, subordinates, peers, and clients.
- Execute tasks with accuracy while maintaining professionalism in a high-pressure environment.
- Knowledge of JIRA, Daptiv, or similar PPM tools required.
- Extensive knowledge Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Outlook.
- Knowledge of the Music Industry is a plus.
- 7+ years of experience in project management or IT lead position.
- Managing a team of 5+ project team members.
- Demonstrated experience managing application projects.
- Experience managing Infrastructure and data analytics projects is a plus.
- Extensive experience managing projects using SDLC, Waterfall, and/or Agile methods.
- Demonstrated success managing large, global, cross functional projects and/programs with distributed teams.
- Experience as a Scrum Master is a plus.
- Entertainment experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher; equivalent experience may be considered.
- Certification in Project Management, PMP or PRINCE II preferred.
- Certification in Professional Scrum Master or equivalent a plus.
- Knowledge of the PMI-Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) a plus
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.