Creative Director, Brand Partnerships
Universal Music Group is the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world. The company is fully owned by the Vivendi group (2016 turnover: €10B) and has been one of the first record company’s to enter the digital space as well as to develop a specific division dedicated to brands called Universal Music & Brands (https://www.umgb.us/ https://www.umgb.com ). This division provides tailor made entertainment marketing solutions and music strategies for brands and currently runs more than 350 major partnerships worldwide. UMGB has become the #1 Music and Media group, delivering all-around agency services to clients, from consultancy to ideation to execution.
We are currently seeking an eager and exceptional Creative Director for the UMGB US team to oversee and elevate our creative output and partnership solutions. The Creative Director should be a conceptual thinker with a keen business sense and a really deep understanding of pop and music culture. They will formulate innovative concepts that support brand, marketing, product, or technological goals for our brand partners and our artists.
They will be responsible for leading the creative studios based in both NY and LA, and will play an integral role in the development of creative initiatives and integrated music marketing concepts, programs and activations for our brand partners. They will also be responsible for guiding the UMGB’s Brand voice and vision, overseeing the highest quality execution of the work, which includes pitch development, creative concepting, B2B marketing, and oversight of the creative product through to execution, collaborating with internal divisions to ensure ideas are presented on time and on budget. The position requires experience and skill in, among other things, creative development and brainstorming, ideation, experiential concepting and activation, content production, as well as a strong understanding of the music and brands / marketing communities
- Responsible for turning brand objectives (received from UMGB client facing team members , brands direct and / or 3rd party agents / consultants) into consumer compelling propositions: storytelling, clever use of assets, content creation, channel activation, etc,
- Responsible for identifying and pro-actively developing creative and innovative business solutions for existing and new brand partners
- Develop, present and effectively communicate how a creative vision will help achieve goals.
- Produce state-of-the-art “pitch” documents for the account and new business teams.
- Lead creative sessions/brainstorming with internal and external teams.
- Collaborate with business leaders to translate business goals into unique brand and product experiences.
- Be UMGB’s in house expert on new creative technologies new trends and cultural developments and make sure that team members are kept up to speed on developments in these areas
- Ensure that creative output adheres to brands standards and delivers business results.
- Recognise trends in the use of entertainment, notably by brands and help develop new business models making use of UMG’s varied assets to deliver significant profit to Universal Music.
- Leverage/develop a network of creative and production houses to ensure that UMGB’s creative output is of the highest and most culturally relevant standards
- Focused on client needs: anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet and exceed their expectations within the organisational parameters
- Manage a team of two people but collaborate with multiple people from across the company
- Work with a team of experts (technology, Commercial Affairs, Business Affairs, Media and marketing and especially Insights and Marketing) and take advantage of these expertise specialist to help develop recommendation and implement creative ideas.
- Support the Head of Strategic Marketing and Partnerships in developing new major brand partnerships.
- The chosen candidate must be capable of delivering short compelling presentations / ‘pitches’ that will sell in a simple, logical and inspiring insights led “big ideas” to brand partners, that tell the brands story and meets their business objectives
- Capacity to understand overall business goals and objectives from both the brand (client) and UMG ./ artist perspectives
- Solid recent experience in similar role within an agency, media or entertainment company.
- Experience in creative and marketing innovation
- Proven expertise in creating culturally relevant solutions
- Good copywriting and design skills which are used to effectively communicate concepts.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills, ability to create inspiring and considered proposals.
- Ability to work within short timeframes, under pressure.
- Good understanding of digital, mobile and social channels and experiential
- Fosters Teamwork: works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness.
- Organised: sets priorities, develops a work schedule, monitors progress towards goals, and tracks details, data, information and activities. Reports regularly to Head of Strtaegic Marketing and Partnerships
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge and experience with key ‘presentation’ programs in particular PowerPoint (occasionally Key note) and design tools such as Photoshop/In Design, or similar
- 6-8 years creative management experience
- Agency experience is preferred
- Passion for Music across all genres but with a deep understanding of Urban / street culture
- Understanding of the agency, brand and entertainment landscape
- College Degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.