Technical Product Owner
Main purpose of role
A wholly owned subsidiary of Vivendi, Universal Music Group (UMG) is the leader in the Music Industry.
Operating in over 75 countries, UMG is a major actor in the expansion of the digital music market and works with over 670 online partners worldwide.
The Universal Music Group and Brands (UMGB) division provides tailor-made entertainment marketing solutions for brands for customer acquisition & retention. UMGB currently runs more than 350 major partnerships worldwide. The UMGB Technical Solutions team supports this division to enable their technical services.
Working with the UMGB central team based in London and the 3rd party suppliers, the key responsibilities of the Technical Product Owner will involve the following:
- Work closely with the UMGB central and local teams to understand the brand client requirements and align them with the existing platform when appropriate, providing them with advice on the best user experience to follow.
- Defining and prioritising new features, enhancements and fixes for the existing music platform
- Writing user stories with full acceptance criteria and producing wireframes
- Managing the prioritised product backlog, helping to plan development sprints
- Producing functional documentation to form the basis of contracts with 3rd party suppliers
- Ensuring an excellent and intuitive user experience across existing and new products
- Testing and acceptance of new features (or coordinating with external testing consultants)
- Helping to define and evolve the product and service roadmap for UMGB
- Monitoring and evaluating competitors’ services and the competitive landscape to ensure UMGB is always proposing the latest solution
The Technical Product Owner will be required to have the following skills:
- Able to oversee and make difficult decisions for the end to end process for web and mobile builds (from requirements, to user experience, design, technical delivery to deployment)
- Product backlog management (eliciting requirements, writing user stories, prioritisation and knowing when to say no)
- Producing wireframes to elicit requirements and communicate requirements
- Quality Assurance
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to explain rationale for product decisions
- A passionate interest in new technologies, digital and the entertainment industry
- Proactive with the ability to work within short timeframes under pressure
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to adapt
- Ability to think innovatively and strategically
- Good understanding of software development process and available technologies (with experience in API, mobile or web development)
- Understanding of user-centred design concepts
- Music industry experience preferable
- Knowledge of Agile/Waterfall
Diversity and inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.