Director, Product Development
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog entity for the Universal Music Group. Working closely in concert with all of the company’s record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives and opportunities in new and emerging technologies. We manage a diverse and expansive catalog spanning the entire history of recorded music and nearly every genre of music from such renowned record labels as Capitol, Interscope, Def Jam, Geffen, A&M, Motown, Island, and Virgin. The UMe catalog roster includes many of the most iconic and legendary artists of all time, including: The Beatles, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, and Kanye West.
UMe is seeking a passionate music enthusiast with product development experience, deep catalog music knowledge, and strong music business background to join our catalog Product Development team as the Director of Product Development. This role reports to the VP, Product Development and is based in Santa Monica, CA.
- Research, pitch and produce financially & commercially viable physical and digital releases from the Universal Music Group catalog across all artists and genres
- Manage & coordinate full product development lifecycle (from research to recording/production process to product release). Interact with executives across departments, artists and artist management
- Oversee project expenditures & budgets
- Work with Commercial and Marketing teams on content creation (may include videos and other promotional content)
- Foster and maintain strong, positive relationships with top level managers and artists
- Maintain strict quality control of products and releases
- Must have broad & in-depth knowledge of music genres and music products with a passion for legacy catalog artists
- A solid understanding of the music industry, recording methods and technology
- Ability to apply a frontline new music A&R approach to catalog artist and releases with an eye towards future catalog exploitation
- Strong connections in the A&R and DJ communities with respect to remixers, and experience with contemporary remixing projects
- Must demonstrate the poise, confidence, and talent to handle multiple projects with the highest level of quality
- Ability to think creatively about how best to utilize catalog assets in future
- Capability to multi-task, ensure meticulous attention to detail, prioritize and work well under pressure & deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Work well independently, take initiative, identify potential issues & successfully problem solve with sound business deliverables
- Effectively optimize processes and efficiencies, and manage budgets
- 7+ years experience in the music business, preferably with catalog/heritage music and knowledge of recording methods and technology
- Experience successfully managing Product Development and budget process for a product release from origination to product completion
- Proven track record initiating, originating, managing and successfully completing all relevant aspects of recorded music releases and projects
- Knowledge and experience in digital/streaming formats & platforms including playlist compilations, content curation, and algorithm optimization
- Bachelor’s degree required in music, marketing, communication, business, or related major preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.