Manager, Content Claiming
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
UMG’s Digital Rights Administration team is dedicated to monitoring and monetizing content on digital platforms. We are currently seeking an experienced and exceptional new hire to manage a team responsible for claiming UMG assets on YouTube and other digital platforms. The team’s goal is to maximize value from the rights of UMG’s recording artists in the digital space through content claiming.
- Manage a team of digital rights administrators to maximize claiming results on YouTube
- Develop and utilize business intelligence to direct team’s daily efforts to claim across UMG’s vast catalogue of recordings
- Develop and mine databases of key channels, memes/video trends, priority repertoire and other key data points to drive claiming results
- Assist with discovering, vetting and managing third-party claiming partnerships to bolster results
- Provide UMG executives, management and stakeholders with detailed reports highlighting relevant analytics and team KPIs, including summaries of claims, revenue, views and key insights
- Work closely with Director, Digital Rights Administration to help manage and assess the accuracy of sound recording-related data in CMS
- Leverage your in-depth understanding of the tools provided in YouTube’s Content Management System (“CMS”) to train new team members and inform overall team approach
- Partner with UMG repertoire owners to understand forthcoming priorities, to provide assurance around the satisfactory use of their recordings, to purvey team results and insights, and to resolve rights information capture
- Lead by example, exploring YouTube for popular User Generated Content (“UGC”) and claiming those videos that incorporate UMG recordings
- Surface issues and beneficial enhancements to YouTube CMS and UMG internal systems to team operations lead and coordinate to develop workable solutions
- Review videos that have been automatically claimed as UMG property by YouTube’s Content ID system and determine the accuracy of those claims
- Assist with managing and resolving ownership conflicts and disputes from other rightsholders and YouTube users regarding unauthorized exploitations of UMG content
- YouTube content management or claiming experience required
- Experience managing a team, and leadership qualities
- Superior operations management and organizational skills
- Revenue and results oriented
- Advanced Excel experience, proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Google Sheets
- Excellent communication and customer service skills; comfortable presenting to and interacting with all levels of management
- Aptitude to learn and manage vast catalogues of artists and repertoire
- Passion for music and technology
- Forward-thinking and ambitious; ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- 2+ years at a music or entertainment company, digital platform, social network, rights management firm
- YouTube content management, content claiming experience or digital rights management experience required
- Experience working in a revenue generating role, managing to an annual target
- Copyright knowledge, a plus
- College degree preferred
- YouTube certification, a plus
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.