INPATIENT PSYCHIATRY UNIT DIRECTOR / RESEARCHER (8 East)
Inpatient Psychiatry Unit Director / Researcher (8 East)
The UMass Memorial Health Care Department of Psychiatry is the largest provider of psychiatric services in central Massachusetts with over 400 faculty members who work in a variety of settings within UMass Memorial Health Care, the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School, and the public sector. We integrate our clinical, research, teaching and community partnership activities to help individuals and families transform their lives through recovery from mental illness and addiction.
We seek a BE/BC psychiatrist to lead one of our University inpatient units. Our inpatient units are flagship teaching programs of the department. They provide acute clinical care to patients challenged by significant mental illness and have or will need intense community support following discharge.
- The Unit Director, 8 East will provide psychiatric and medical supervision as well as clinical care for our 15-bed inpatient psychiatry unit located on the University Campus.
- Candidates with interest in an all-clinical role or a half-time research role are encouraged to apply. As a half-time researcher you would cover half the typical inpatient unit caseload (i.e., ~6 patients).
The Hospital has outstanding training programs which include 27 residents and fellows as well as 16 trainees. Our Psychiatry positions offer the opportunity for involvement in a full range of activities. We are a national leader in public sector psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, neurodevelopmental disorders, biological psychiatry, neuropsychiatry, forensic psychiatry, psychosocial rehabilitation, women’s mental health, and addiction psychiatry.
As the second largest city in New England, Worcester has powered a rise of booming technology, research, manufacturing, and healthcare industries. The area is rich in history and cultural diversity. You will find:
- some of the safest towns to reside, as well as some of the best public-school systems in the United States.
- several highly regarded colleges including Clark University, The College of the Holy Cross, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- a variety of affordable housing options from newly renovated condominiums to gracious Victorian homes.
- numerous restaurants, theater groups, and concert venues.
- our central location is just miles from Boston, Providence, Newport, Rhode Island, and Cape Cod, with a short ride to the scenic Berkshire and Wachusett Mountains!
In short, Worcester provides a myriad of social, cultural, and recreational amenities making this area a truly desirable location in which to practice and live.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are integral to the commitment of the Department and University. Accordingly, the Department seeks qualified candidates who can contribute to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion through service, mentorship, teaching, and scholarship. Further, the Department is keenly interested in diversifying its faculty and staff and encourages applications from diverse candidates. Candidates from historically underrepresented group(s) in higher education and medicine are encouraged to apply. Candidates who possess personal characteristics that might be considered as diversifying elements among the clinical team and the large psychiatry faculty at UMMS are invited to identify themselves during the application process.
*J1 Waiver and H1B candidates encouraged to apply!
Come join the best place to give care, the best place to get care, and the best place for YOU!
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae addressed to:
Kimberly A. Yonkers, MD
Katz Family Endowed Chair
Professor and Chair of Psychiatry
UMass Medical School/UMass Memorial Health Care
c/o Carolina Mallea
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected]. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
We are an affirmative action and equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, protected veteran status or other status protected by law. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected]. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.