Senior Manager, OSP Engineering
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
Responsible for providing leadership and direction for the Outside Plant engineering group across the organization. Build, implement and improve consistent practices to ensure quick and stable service delivery aligned with company initiatives and expectations. Ensure a high degree of multi-functional communication within the organization.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and improve the customer experience
- Provide leadership and direction to the OSP Field Engineering resources
- Review completed field survey to contribute to make ready solution that meets applicable requirements
- Assist in preparation of the annual budget
- Establish and maintain Permitting SOPs
- Build and maintain Engineering Guidelines for the organization
- Evaluate new OSP products and designs for possible implementation
- Establish and ensure a quality records management process in conjunction with the Design team
- Evaluate and collaborate with senior management regarding strategic planning of rebuilds and system extensions, and new product development and deployment
- Ensure alignment to company safety standards
- Ensures field compliance with corporate engineering standards, policies and procedures
- Participate in budget and forecasting planning and manage departmental expenses
- Ensure accurate capital expenditures and make sound investment decisions in the network
- Identify engineering and deployment opportunities to inspire change and initiate ideas
- In partnership with the Director of Engineering & Design, lead all aspects of the development of technical and engineering staff
- Creation and oversight of the organizational change approval process
- Perform other duties as requested
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge:
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on video conference, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Advanced Knowledge of Service Provider FTTH engineering and construction practices
- Ability to prioritize different projects and tasks
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Ability to supervise and empower others
- Ability to use personal computer and software applications
- Advanced knowledge of Digital Transmission
- Advanced knowledge of Electronic theory
- Advanced knowledge of Fiber Optic theory
- Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electric Safety Code
- Organizational Agility
- Strategic Agility
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent experience preferred
- SCTE/BCTE certification or equivalent preferred
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training
Related Work Experience:
- 10+ years engineering management experience
- 5+ years proven experience with project management
- 7+ years proven outstanding leadership skills
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.