Senior Devops Engineer - Ting Mobile
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
Are you looking for a position where you can seed innovation and creativity?
Is it important for you to be a part of a dynamic, fast-paced, successful and stable company with a flexible work environment?
The Ting Mobile Engineering Team is looking for the right engineer with a strong Devops and automation background to join our team. A successful candidate will be creating and building internal tools and APIs to enable our Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment systems to efficiently manage our compute, network, and storage platforms.
You will have the opportunity to participate and be part of our highly skilled team and will contribute to the design, development, and engineering of the technology infrastructure supporting Ting Mobile services.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you meet the below qualifications and are ready to be part of a fast-growing technology company where you determine your future, we want to hear from you.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Architect tooling and design solutions that focus on quality, security and provides scalability on our real-time processing and high availability platform.
- Collaborate with members of internal Engineering and DevOps Tools and Automation team to build and create internal tools and APIs for managing our network and cloud infrastructure.
- Research, innovate, and implement new technologies that improve our velocity.
- Maintain and improve existing deployment tools.
- Convert existing legacy applications to run on new technologies such as docker.
- Provide domain expertise for solutions and applications for tooling
Qualifications and experience:
- Proven past in building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines from scratch
- Strong Python coding skills, 3+ years experience.
- Shell scripting (Bash).
- Extensive experience with Linux. We use Debian but we expect that you can easily pick up other distributions.
- Experience with Saltstack or Ansible python based automation frameworks. Able to extend these frameworks with new modules.
- Automating builds with Jenkins.
- Experience with Docker.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code principles and best practices.
- Experience with metric and monitoring tools such as prometheus, alert manager, graylog, elastic search.
- Experience with Hashicorp tools such as Terraform, Nomad, Vault, Consul, Vagrant.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and comprehend new technologies.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with an ability to build relationships.
- Keep up to date on necessary technical knowledge, trends and best practices from industry.
- Ability to lead and mentor junior members of the team.
- Work effectively within a diverse team environment.
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Openstack experience an asset.
- Familiarity with Kafka, Cassandra, Elastic stack, graylog.
- Familiarity with Perl, Groovy and frameworks such as Django, Flask, Ruby On Rails.
- Familiarity with concepts of GitFlow and automation tools like github actions.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.