Senior Tax Accountant
Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
Trupanion is looking for a dynamic, energetic and highly curious Senior Tax Accountant who will play a key role in the preparation and review of U.S. and foreign tax returns and the worldwide income tax provision for both US GAAP and NAIC external reporting. As a critical member of a rapidly growing public company, this role will work collaboratively to facilitate cross-functional coordination among teams and departments. This is a hands-on position that will assist with driving the improvement of tools, processes, and procedures to allow the company to rapidly scale.
The Senior Tax Accountant will have a proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, prioritize communications and requests, and organize, maintain, and streamline processes.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Preparation of US federal, state, and Canadian income tax returns and related extensions and quarterly payments, performing tax technical research as necessary and documenting tax positions.
- Preparation of international related calculations and forms including 5471, 8858, E&P, and GILTI
- Preparation of quarterly and year-end income tax provision in accordance with ASC 740 and SSAP 101 and assist with drafting of memo supporting income tax positions.
- Assist with tax related monthly close tasks, including accrual of various taxes, calculating and booking transfer pricing journal entries, and preparation of account reconciliations.
- Prepare / review sales tax, excise tax, premiums tax, property tax, franchise tax, and GST returns.
- Interact with tax officials to resolve notices, registrations, annual reports and/or requests for information and provide support for various foreign, federal, state, and local income tax audits
- Think critically and maintain an inquisitive mindset to recommend, implement, and document process improvements to promote efficiency and compliance
- Develop and maintain knowledge of federal, state, and international tax laws and current developments.
- Be a “go to” person for tax questions from accounting team members
- Work on a variety of special projects
Qualifications (Please include a cover letter with your application!)
Education, Registration & Certification:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years of tax experience in public accounting or large multi-state company
- Federal and/or State income tax compliance experience required
- ASC 740 and U.S. GAAP knowledge and experience preferred
- CPA and/or Masters in Taxation preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Excel a plus
- Well-developed oral and written communication ability
- Strong analytical ability and detail-oriented
- Ability to creatively problem solve and passionate about process improvement
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly and fun office environment
- Free dog walking services for “approved” office pets during business hours
- Free pet health insurance (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Free on-site gym
Founded in 2000, Trupanion (NASDAQ: TRUP) offers medical insurance for cats and dogs in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico through its affiliated entities.
Trupanion is a registered trademark owned by Trupanion, Inc. Underwritten in Canada by Omega General Insurance Company and in the United States by American Pet Insurance Company. 6100 4th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108. Please visit AmericanPetInsurance.com to review all available pet health insurance products.
- Caring: We care about each other.
- Adhocracy: An adhocracy is intentionally ‘adhoc’ instead of bureaucratic. Adhocracies value the ability to adapt quickly, flexibility and employee empowerment (with an emphasis on individual initiative). Corporate levels exist in an adhocracy, but they are less strictly defined and valued than in traditional corporate environments.
- Trusting: We trust one another with information
- Sincere: We do what we say and say what we mean.
- Devoted: We love pets.
- Original: We are innovative and fair.
- Genuine: We are free to express our true selves.
- Simple: Simple is better.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about