Previs - Shot Creator/Animator
THE THIRD FLOOR, Inc. is the world’s pre-eminent, Emmy Award visualization company with offices in Los Angeles and London as well as on location with productions around the world. For the past 14 years, the studio has helped clients visualize and maximize content by producing computer-animated blueprints, known as “previsualizations”. Recent film and television projects THE THIRD FLOOR, Inc. has worked on include The Martian, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Marvel’s Ant-Man, San Andreas, Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max: Fury Road, Maleficent, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians of the Galaxy and Game of Thrones Seasons 4 and 5. We continue to push the boundaries of entertainment with content development for exciting cutting-edge projects.
By using the language of cinematography and animation in tandem to design the strongest possible sequences, a previs artist holds an impactful and highly collaborative role in the film-making process. The artistic sketch of the film to come, quickly produced through previs, supports effective creation, communication and realization of the project from development through to production and post.
A previs shot creator pieces together elements, sets them in motion, and “films” them with virtual cameras to create cinematic sequences that represent the creative blueprint. Nearly any aspect of a shot can be tweaked instantaneously to improve the composition or the timing of the action. Working with the previs supervisor, previs shot creators produce previs shots and sequences that help to support the director's vision via appropriate use of camera movement, lenses, composition, staging, lighting, and editing.
The Ideal candidate will:
- Create sequences of shots from storyboards and/or script pages to enhance story
- Animate characters, creatures, props, and vehicles.
- Possess a strong sense of composition, color, and animation timing.
- Establish character blocking, camera positioning and animate camera movement.
- Create scene lighting that complements the shot and matches the sequence.
- Understand cinematic language, camera terminology and have the ability to use motion blur, depth of field and other effects, to create realism.
- Clean up and accentuate mocap animation.
- Tweak and alter basic models and textures to complement shots.
- Composite and track shots to integrate all the layers, including live-action and computer generated elements.
- Understand shot continuity of sequence to help guide shot creation
- Work well on a team and successfully take direction from a supervisor.
- Adapt quickly and accept change – often have to toss out ideas and start fresh.
- Maintain high consistent standard of quality and speed.
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe After Effects
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
- PFTrack (a plus)
- Previs Shot Creators are part of TTF’s very agile creative teams, sometimes working at various production locations for our major studio clients. Willingness to travel is a plus. This is a great chance to work on-site with some of the biggest names in the industry!
- Please include your resume, demo reel/ portfolio link (and password, if needed), and demo reel breakdown (or, alternatively, a written detailed breakdown/contribution) with your application.
- The animation work shown should include both character and camera layout/animation.