Previs - Modeler
THE THIRD FLOOR is the world’s leading visualization company with offices in Los Angeles and London as well as on location with productions around the world. Since 2004, the studio has helped clients visualize and maximize content by producing computer-animated blueprints, known as “previsualizations”. The Third Floor is a fun, creative company founded by artists, for artists. We work on extremely high-profile projects, while maintaining a small studio feel. Recent examples of our work include Aquaman, BumbleBee, Mary Poppins Returns, Venom, and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.
Assets are built quickly and must be highly optimized for real-time workflow in Maya. Our Previs Modeler must be able to take artistic direction from a wide spectrum of sources to produce environments, props, and characters that best represent the director's vision. The ideal Previs Modeler will have a strong sense of design and feel comfortable filling in the gaps of information to ensure each asset looks its best.
Strong Knowledge of low-polygon modeling is a must, and good knowledge of real-time OpenGL techniques for lighting and FX is a plus.
Project based work on location in Los Angeles (no remote work)
- Design accurate models from storyboards, concept art, and/or script pages.
- Build lower resolution assets for both organic and hard surface - characters, creatures, props, and environments
- Texture, rig, and light models quickly and efficiently.
- Transfer and/or create lower resolution models from higher resolution models.
- Understand concepts that are used heavily in previs such as the creation alpha/transparency cards and animated UV's for visual effects.
- Possess an artistic eye for detail and understand the technical specifications for each project.
- Work well on a team and successfully take direction from a supervisor.
- Adapt quickly and accept change – often have to toss out ideas and start fresh.
- Maintain high consistent standard of quality and speed
- Autodesk Maya
- Substance Painter
- Autodesk Motion Builder (a plus)
- Mudbox (a plus)
- ZBrush (a plus)
- Unity or Unreal (a plus)
- To be considered: include your resume, demo reel/ portfolio link (and password, if needed), and demo reel breakdown (or, alternatively, a written detailed breakdown/contribution) with your application.
- The modeling work shown should include characters, props and environments. Wire frames and textures must be shown for proper consideration. Here is a guide to help understand what TTF is looking for in a demo reel.
- Asset Builders are part of TTF’s very agile creative teams, sometimes working at various production locations for our major studio clients. Willingness to travel is a plus. This is a great chance to work on-site with some of the biggest names in the industry!