Intern: Field Research Scientist
The Climate Corporation is looking for an outstanding student to work with an interdisciplinary team of scientists to develop datasets and build models that help farmers manage their fertilizer use while simultaneously enabling other products and teams. We are looking for someone who is experienced in conducting field scale research on Soil Fertility and Nutrient management in row crop production as part of a large research organization. The role will involve identifying, developing, documenting and coordinating field research protocols in partnership with other teams and stakeholders that lead to better customer outcomes in developing and evaluating TCC products.
The Fertility team consists of scientists across multiple fields including hydrology, biogeochemistry, crop modeling, engineering, and statistics. We work closely with supporting field research, measurement technology, geospatial scientists as well as associated product and engineering teams. The models we build are the foundation of our cutting-edge digital products helping guide farmers’ decision-making around fertilizer applications to balance both sufficiency and efficiency of their crop’s nutrients needs. Our ultimate goal is to provide recommendations that will enhance farm profitability worldwide while being better environmental stewards to their land. This goal serves as a central component of the company’s overall business model.
What You Will Do:
- Responsible for documenting and coordinating field research protocols and activities towards Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management in row crop production.
- Enable effective tracking of research protocol implementation and troubleshooting as needed to minimize disruption in data collection.
- Conduct exploratory data analysis and clearly communicate results to stakeholders in Field Research organization in a timely manner.
- Develop and evaluate methodologies to improve efficiency of data collection to achieve field research operational excellence.
- Interact with academic and industry collaborators.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a PhD or Master’s program in Agronomy, Soil Science, Crop Science or a related discipline during the duration of the internship
- Experience directly related to conducting field research in soil fertility and nutrient management science in row crop production.
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Demonstrated experience in verbal and written communication of scientific data analysis.
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to develop innovative products for our customers
- Ability to work on multiple projects with competing priorities.
- Experience with Field experimental design and statistics.
- Experience with statistical packages such as R, SAS, Python.
- Demonstrated success in enabling successful large-scale field research projects.
- Experience operating in a matrixed research environment, comfortable with ambiguity.
- Ability to work effectively with statisticians, software engineers, scientists with modeling expertise, field research, and sensor technologies.
Our environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with a diverse set of top engineers, agronomists, and statisticians working together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
- We offer competitive pay and perks.
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks and drinks to get you through the day.
- You’ll get 1:1 mentoring from a talented and motivated employee on your team.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work on real projects with experienced employees and have a direct impact on the company. (Our internships are not summer camp!)
- You’ll have the amazing opportunity to participate in one of our Biotechnology Tours where you get out of the office and into the field (literally) with agents and farmers.
- You’ll work in an award-winning office with smart designs, large common areas and open floor plans that fuel collaboration.
- You’ll attend various company-sponsored events, activities, and off-sites - we make sure interns are having fun!
- We regularly host meet-up groups and tech-talks and encourage participation in relevant workshops and conferences
- You’ll have the opportunity to interact with key executives and leaders.
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference