Associate Director, Alumni Relations and Annual Giving, Law Programs
Summary of Position:
The Associate Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving – Law Programs is responsible for developing, marketing, implementing, and evaluating events, outreach, and programs designed to engage Suffolk Law School’s 24,000 alumni across their entire life cycle and build a culture of philanthropy across the university community. The Associate Director will serve as the alumni staff liaison for the Suffolk Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors and help to develop and support additional alumni volunteer organizations. They will also be part of the Suffolk University Advancement team and will also have responsibilities that span across the entire university.
Primary/Principal Responsibilities:Assist with the development of a comprehensive program to engage Suffolk’s 80,000 alumni in meaningful ways and promote philanthropic support of Suffolk at the Annual giving level. Research, develop, plan, implement, and evaluate a broad range of alumni engagement and annual giving programming including events, outreach, volunteer management and regional programs related to segments of the alumni population. May include, but is not limited to, reunion events, alumni weekend, signature development and recognition events, affinity and regional networks and college and diversity programming.
- Serve as the alumni staff liaison and ex-officio member for one or more alumni volunteer organizations including the Suffolk Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Partner with volunteer leadership to develop fiscal year goals and advise and assist with meeting structure/agenda and follow through.
- Guide and assist with the identification and recruitment of board membership in alignment with the University’s strategic plan.
- Create volunteer engagement opportunities through partnerships with Admissions, Career Development and Academic departments.
- Assist with the development and staffing of volunteer affinity groups.
- Collaborate closely with development colleagues in increasing support from alumni; assist in identifying alumni prospects for gifts; communicate development related activities via written contact reports filed in Colleague Advancement.
- Collaborate with Annual Giving team to leverage alumni volunteers for phone campaigns, direct mail appeals and e-solicitation materials with tailored message for alumni.
- Assist the Sr. Director with the development and implementation of revenue driven Affinity programs.
Events, Communications and Outreach
- Assist in the planning, implementation and promotion of alumni programs and events to support the University’s strategic plan and increase alumni financial support.
- Ensure all events are consistently executed with the highest level of quality, are cost-effective and overall support the University's mission and strategic goals.
- Maintain positive working relationships with internal and external constituents to ensure effective execution of events.
- Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally and nationally; maintain regular communication with alumni via direct contact, email blasts, alumni web pages, and print publications.
- Serve as a liaison with campus partners such as Law Dean’s Office, Law Dean of Students Office, Career Development, and Admissions.
- Propose and develop new methods of engagement through events and outreach programs.
- Act as an ambassador at events.
- Develop alumni affinity programs based on area of study, interest and/or industry.
- Design and implement efforts, both electronic and print based, to publicize events and promote overall event attendance.
- Prepare relevant event briefing documents and supporting materials for Suffolk and Advancement leadership.
- Assist in data integrity efforts to ensure accurate and complete alumni database records.
- Supervise multiple staff and student assistants. Provide training and manage project assignments.
- Perform additional duties as assigned and assist with special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required, JD preferred.
- 5-7 years of alumni relations, event management and development experience for Associate Director level, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Sense of urgency and enthusiastic commitment to Suffolk University’s Advancement priorities
- Experience working with and managing volunteers and must possess an understanding of volunteer management best practices.
- Highly professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated success with developing and sustaining relationships with donors and volunteers.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills, with the ability to work collaboratively and courteously with colleagues throughout the University, alumni, other constituents and the public.
- Demonstrably strong writing, planning, marketing, communications and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
- Experience with Datatel Colleague Advancement or a similar constituent database, Excel and Word.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.