Senior Accountant - Controller's Office - Temporary Assignment 15-18 months
This is a 3 days a week temporary position for 15 to 18 months.
This position is responsible for administering internal control and auditing accounting records as well as reconciliation of certain financial systems and accounts. In addition, this position works closely with Staff Accountants and other university departments to perform detailed analysis, reconciliation, and discrepancy resolution in a timely manner. This position also works closely with Assistant Controller to maintain accurate set of records used to develop internal and external financial reports.
- Effective assistance to the Assistant Controller in preparing schedules for external auditors as well as quarterly internal and external reporting
- Effective assistance to the Assistant Controller in preparing supporting schedules for the 990 tax filing.
- Perform all general ledger advancement functions including but not limited to, setting up new funds when contributions/pledges are received, reconciling GL to sub-ledger, monitoring donation washout accounts to ensure items are clearing, monitoring available funds and perform outreach to departments to encourage spending, etc.
- Review of reconciliations and journal entries prepared by accountants
- Support month end and year end close procedures
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Miscellaneous tasks as assigned (analysis, departmental meetings, various accounting documentation, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 3-5 years of professional experience
- Professional experience in higher education and/or non-profit industry preferred
- Familiarity with financial accounting statements, specifically non-profit, as well as Form 990
- Experience using general ledger and reporting systems to provide thorough and accurate financial information and analysis
- Adaptability to new technology and proficiency with current technology (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Effective documentation and understanding of business processes
- Ability to evaluate business processes and internal controls and identify areas of potential improvement
- Ability to work in collaborative environment
- 3 days per week; days are flexible