Professional STEM Tutor - Student Success
Summary of Position
The responsibility of the Professional STEM Tutor is to assist students who need math, statistics, physics and other STEM help. Professional STEM Tutors work in both our drop-in program (where they work both individually and in small groups with students) and in our one-on-one by appointment program. Professional STEM Tutors will also lead larger, scheduled, group tutoring sessions, as needed. Professional STEM tutors should at the least be well versed in mathematics (from arithmetic to calculus) and statistics. Strong preference to those who are well-versed in computer science languages of python, java and C/C++ and those who have experience with upper-level computer science courses – data structures and algorithms, computer architecture, operating systems, etc.
- Tutor students who request STEM assistance: individual to small group sessions in math/stats drop-in, one-on-one appointments in STEM disciplines. Tutoring can be online or in the center. Tutors will write notes in our tutor management system for individual appointments.
- Training on specific topics related to assisting college students with STEM subjects, dealing with students of concern, etc. Training may be in person or online. Meeting with program supervisors to discuss other issues.
- Facilitate large group tutoring sessions at the end of the semester for final exam review.
- Master’s Degree or higher in a STEM discipline or related area.Strong preference for graduate degree in computer science.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of successful strategies for tutoring a diverse, college student population.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Creativity and flexibility in the tutoring spaces/online is expected.
Currently there are 4 openings for this position.
Posted on July 9, 2019