Theater Assistant - College of Arts and Sciences
Suffolk University is seeking qualified candidates for a part time, non-benefits eligible Theater Assistant position in the Theatre Department. The Theater Assistant provides technical expertise in the Sullivan Studio Theatre, Modern Theatre, and other venues used by the Theatre Department; assists with presenting programs and maintenance; and facilitates projects with work-study students, professional designers and technicians. This is a terrific position for someone who wants to advance their knowledge and expertise in theater.
- Manage events independently as assigned.
- Assist Theatre Department staff and members of University offices and guest organizations to plan and implement lighting, sound, scenery, and projection in the theatres.
- Work with the front-of-house and technical staff to assure effective communication and safety.
- Lead work crews as assigned.
- Assist in maintaining and organizing backstage, storage areas and equipment in the theatres.
- Support implementation of technical projects to improve the safety and operation of the theaters.
- Supervise and provide design for theatrical performances, finals, and university events as assigned
- Train for and implement procedures to assure safety and security in the theatres, including use of infrastructure, equipment & materials, student training, and securing the space.
- Participate in Theatre Department technical, facility, and operational planning.
- B.A. or B.F.A. degree, preferably technical theatre and performing arts is preferred. Experience in lieu of a degree.
- Proficient on one or more of the follow areas:Theatrical Lighting, Live Sound Operation,Video and Projections,Costumes
- Working knowledge of Theatrical Carpentry and Rigging
- Ability to work comfortably at heights on a ladder, Genie lift, focus chair, or catwalk
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently
- Ability to supervise student work crews
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Will often require weekend and weeknight hours
- Computer skills including Microsoft office (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Can lift 50 lbs.
- Additional responsibilities as needed.